Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Smell of Mowed Grass

So what's the first thing you think of when you smell mowed grass?  Allergies?  Lots of work?  Glad you have a yard person?  The heat?  The rain?  Mosquitoes?  You know what I think when I smell mowed grass?    LIFE ... it is one of the sweetest smells to my nose.  It means I'm alive to smell the freshness of living.  It is an awesome smell to me.  On Wednesday when I went for my three month Oncology check up as I was returning to the office, I passed a big beautiful church in downtown and the yard maintenance guys were there mowing.  The a/c in my Highlander sucked up the smell of the mowed grass and I just breathed it in deep.  I lowered my window to get more of the aroma of the sweet smell.  LIFE ... I am alive and the smell of mowed grass is perfume to my nose.


I have lots of pictures to share so let's get started.  Last weekend my sister and I went to an estate sale and look what I found ... a heavy metal headboard.
The grass is still brown :-( but I know soon it will be green.  See the bird feeder hanging there, that has dried meal worms in it.  I'm hoping to get some of the birds interested in them.  Anyway, with the headboard I made a flower 'bed'.
My plan is for this to be a flower 'bed' if possible but may need to mix some veggies in with the flowers.  I cannot wait to see what grows in it.

Another addition to my back yard is my pergola covering the patio.  I have wanted something to cover the patio for the 18 years I've been in this house.  I now have it.  We used treated wood and I am now waiting for the wood to dry out so I can get the painter out to paint it the same color as the house.  After that I will use shade cloth to cover it so there will be some shade.  My plan is to grow some climbing flowering vines up the posts.  I cannot wait.





These pictures before pergola...


  These three pictures show the pergola cover.  Oh yea ... see the shed in the corner, I put two wren next boxes on that this week.  I am hoping the wrens or chickadees will find the boxes and nest.

So those are my additions at this time.  There is a swing set ordered for the grand littles side of the yard.  Can't wait for it to come in and be put together and spring to get here and lots playing outside.  Note ... in my patio pictures you can see my lettuces and greens growing.  I made salad from these greens this week.  Went out in the mornings and cut the lettuce and away I went.  Love having this convenience and organic growing process happening right in my back yard.

This past Wednesday was my birthday.  I celebrated my 57th year here on earth.  That day was the day I smelled the mowed grass.  Bestest gift ever along with having my family together last night and my new tomato cages from Bonnie and her family and some money from my sister to buy more tomato cages.  Alicia's gift will be helping me haul the bags of dirt to the backyard and helping me spread it.  We learned a lot last year by not caging those tomato plants.  Everyone came over last night and we ordered pizza and wings and had a babyfest.  So many times I want pictures of me and my grand littles and do not always get them, however, I fed my youngest grand little her bottle and here's our picture.  She is growing so much and her Grammy just can't get enough of her or the other two.  When all three of the babies are together at night, my girls get their baths and it is so much fun.  By doing this, it helps the Mommy who has to go home.
Tonight the time here in Texas springs forward an hour.  Waaaa hoooo ... you know what this means? It means we have more daylight when we get off work to be outside.  Waaaa hooooo .... I love it.  People grump around about losing an hour of sleep ... sleep is way over rated.  I agree we need to rest but it's only an hour lost.

Last Wednesday we celebrated my daughter, Bonnie's birthday at Joe's Crab Shack.  It was so much fun.  Every time my girls are together they take pictures of themselves ... well I decided it was time to be in at least one picture so I photo bombed their photo shot.  Here is the result .....


I actually told them I was going to do this and to move their heads apart.  I love the results.  For those reading my blog that do not know me personally, this probably shows my true personality.  ha ha ha ha

I guess that's my update for now.  Life is good and I'm living it to the fullest ... are you?  The next time you smell freshly mowed grass ... breath deep - who cares that you may need an allergy pill afterwards ... enjoy the moment.  These are precious moments ... do not waste them.

I am not sure if you are having a sunshine and roses kind of day or you have hot rocks churning.  Either way --- I am here to tell you that God can and will help you handle life today.  You just have to turn it all over to Him.

Blessings!

gkmorrison12@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment