Friday, September 27, 2013

Yea Though I Walk Through the Valley ....

Have you ever walked through a valley, a deep dark valley?  I'm sure that walking through dark valleys is not something anyone does on a routine basis and when you think about it ... why would we?  I mean after all, I'm scared of the dark.  However, I certainly have been in my share of some pretty dark valleys in my life ... deep and dark valleys ... and I was really scared.  First, the valley was deep and second, remember I'm scared of the dark.  So am I talking about real valleys ... nope ... I'm talking about those times in your life that everything looked really dark and you felt like you were in a hole and could not figure out how in the world you were going to get out and you just think that you will never see daylight again.
You think you will never smile much less laugh.  Life has taken a really sharp turn
and it was not in the direction you wanted to go.  I hit a really deep valley in January 2012 while going through chemo.  I had completed three rounds of chemo, I was bald and I was tired of feeling bad after those chemo treatments.  I had picked up a respiratory bug <or so I thought> and my body didn't seem to be able to fight it off.  I remember vividly sitting in my recliner that evening talking to my sister.  As we talked and I was coughing and I felt terrible.  I started crying ... hard.  My sister started crying because I was crying and she could not fix it.  That night I was in probably one of the deepest darkest valleys I had or have ever been in.  I knew that I would eventually feel better and I knew my hair would eventually grow back ... I had no idea if I would ever quit coughing and running temperature ... but my valley was dark.  I was not having a pity party, I was having an I don't feel good party and I want my hair back.  Little did I know I had severe thrush and it was down my throat.  I had wondered 'why' my mouth and throat hurt so bad and my tongue was white but I didn't know what thrush was.   Anyway, as it turned out I was hospitalized for four days while they tried very hard to find out what was wrong with me.  They determined I had a viral bronchial and lung infection that antibiotics would not clear up however, they kept me from getting anything else.  They got the thrush cleared up ... by the way thrush is a direct side effect of the chemo.  Back to the dark dark valley ... I made it out of that valley ... not on my own but by the grace of God.  This is one of the times I always talked about that I know He was carrying me because I was so far down, I felt I couldn't get up.  <To read more about this leg of my cancer journey, go to the January 23, 2012 post>

Now ... repeat after me ...

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want,
He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside the still waters,
He restores my soul, He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His names sake,
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,
For thou are with me.  Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemies,
Thou anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

So whatever your deep dark valley may be today ... our precious Lord has it all in control.  He will lead you out of there and restore you.  That ... my friends is comforting and such a Praise to Him ... and with faith I know He already knows the outcome and I am going to be just fine.

*******************

So here's a few happenings around my house.  I had the back patio enclosed and I love love love it.  I have been amazed how much heat the enclosure has helped keep the house cooler.  The den is the room that looks out on the patio and it stays so much cooler.   The patio needs to be finished out and painted but until it gets cooler, that is not happening.

These three pics are before.  I started with the pergola
and then decided to have it enclosed.










Here are a couple pictures after enclosure.  There are screen doors on each side ... east and west.  This is the east side and the most used.  The west side the screen door drags a little.  Again, when it gets cooler I plan to fix the door and paint.

 

**************************
And here's pictures of the biggest candle tree that I have ever seen.  Candle trees are annuals and this one started out about 14 inches tall and I paid $3.95 for it ... pretty good return on my money, wouldn't you say?  With plenty of water they grow and grow and I think they are beautiful. It is as tall as the gutters on the eaves of the house and I know at least 11 feet wide.  Do you see why they are called candle trees? The flowers resemble candles.  I think the foliage is so pretty as well.



*************************
Today is my doctor appointment that will be considered my one year survivor anniversary.  I had my surgery on October 18, 2011 ... so that's the date they consider me cancer free.  I feel great.  I do believe the bicep area of my left arm - that's the side Dr. Chow had to remove 14 lymph nodes due to the minuet amount <0.6 cm> of cancer had escaped to my sentinel node.  I haven't measured my arm but I can tell my bicep is larger than before.  No pain ... Praise the Lord.

*************************
The government is facing a shut down and I work for the government.  I truly wonder about the people running this country.  They say it's not political ... REALLY?  That's all I will say but really appreciate your prayers.

*************************
I'm living life and enjoying every day.  Carpe diem ... enjoy the day ... and all days to come.  Look around and see how blessed you are ... don't let the negative things creep in and ruin the life you have. The life we are living is not a dress rehearsal ... it's the live production ... there will not be any do-overs.  Live it to the fullest.

*************************
Until next time I leave you with this ....

Ephesians 4:31-32 ... Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.  Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ ... God forgave you.  


genam44@charter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment