Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Mini Vacation Comes to an End ...

I think the title is actually a little deceiving as I didn't really take a vacation, I had four days off work in a row.  I got so much accomplished over the four days and I'm proud of that.
 I started cleaning ... first was the garage on Tuesday night before the days off began.  We could no longer get anything else in the floor space of the garage.  I am happy to report now that we have much better walking space and things got hung up on the walls that gets them off the floor space.  I start to feel closed in when we are storing too much on the floor.

Wednesday night which began my actual four days off, I tackled the shed.  You could not begin to step foot in the shed at all.  During the early spring when I was doing a bunch of stuff in the backyard, I loaded up my handy dandy wagon with all the tools I thought I would need.  Every time I finished a project, I put that handy dandy wagon in the shed.  After clean out, all the tools went back in the proper places and several things got put on the side of the house which I proceeded to sell on the Facebook garage sale sites.  The wagon got dismantled (it was a hard plastic Little Tyke model) and is now in it's resting place behind the shed with the wheel barrow and my extra lumber and planters as well an another wagon and oh yea, a heavy cement bird bath.  That bird bath will be put on the Facebook garage sale sites soon.

Those two things were my major projects.  Thursday was a normal day for me and I enjoyed just doing what ever I needed/wanted to do.  No big hoopla party for the evening as we were having a family get together on Saturday.  Friday was much of the same.

Saturday I loaded up on fresh veggies and some fruit at the market.  I started the smoker about 10:00am and got the chicken and ribs on to cook slow for the next several hours.  I had cooked my pot of beans on Friday while I was here so all they needed was a reheat.  I made potato salad and my nephews and I replicated an avocado/roasted jalapeno dip I had bought.  My sister made the coleslaw with vinegar dressing and Bonnie made the cole slaw with the creamy dressing.  It was a big success and we all came away full as ticks with dessert yet to go.  My sister made a blueberry/raspberry tart (like a cobbler) and also a Coke Cake which was to die for.  Delish!  And what made it really special is both my nephews now live here and they were able to come and be part of our gathering.  Yes, such a blessing to have everyone here in the area.

Sunday (today) I woke with a migraine which I thought would go away with a good cup of coffee but I was wrong.  I took an Imitrex after I ate breakfast ... no results.  I took another Imitrex after I ate lunch ... no results.  I ate a bite of lunch and took a little nap and the headache was still with me.  I took two Advil which knocked it on out.

My house is clean, all the laundry is finished.  I finished another quilt top one evening while I was off.  It's a four patch ... my first four patch.  It's brilliant reds/oranges/greens ... the picture doesn't do it justice.  I have now completed three quilt tops and have got to start quilting them.  I have a couple options for doing it myself.  I practiced today on the quilting ... not on the actual quilts ... so when I get up my nerve I will do the quilts.  In the meantime, there's lot of fabric to buy and ideas to be made.  Quilting is something I can do while it is so very hot here in Texas.  Of course it is not providing me any exercise so I must make that a priority.  It's just so dag gone hot here.

I guess that's it for me.  I have a new quilting magazine I bought at Sam's today so I think I will get it out of the wrapper and review it.  Tomorrow is back to work which is OK.  I love my job and work with a great group of people.

I pray you are doing and are blessed.  If you got up out of bed today, you are blessed.  It's not always the big things that matter ... the small things mean as much.  Bless someone today.

Blessed is he who considers the weak and the poor; the Lord will deliver him in the time of evil and trouble. Psalm 41: 1

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment