Saturday, July 27, 2013

What Really Matters ...




Have you ever stopped and thought about --- what really matters in life?  Or do you do as I did until that fateful day, September 15, 2011, took life for granted?  Oh yea ... I did that.  I took life and good health for granted ... and BAM
I was hit up beside the head with the news that I had breast cancer.  Life was something I was walking through and while appreciating most everything, I realized that day that I didn't appreciate it enough.  I always did the things I was supposed to do ... go to work, clean house, mow the yard, and the list goes on and on ... all the while taking things for granted.  I didn't stop to really think about or realize what I was actually missing.  Today I can tell you how much I appreciate life and all that I have and all the things that I see that God has made.  It's no longer a ho-hum go through the day life for me.  Life is real y'all and one day it will end.  On that day all the grudges we've held, all the negativity we have fed into and all that other nonsense stuff will not matter. We will have gone through life either bitter, negative and hateful or we will be remembered as someone who appreciated everything that life threw at us.  I don't know about you but I pray I will be remembered as an appreciative of all my family, friends and fun loving person who realized and appreciated all the things I had been given.  I challenge you today to not let a devastating health diagnosis make you realize how much you have.  I have taken the below paragraph from a wonderful caring/giving cancer nurse navigator that God brought in to my life.  Sherree, if you read my blog ... thank you for your weekly emails that touch many of our lives ... just as you have.  I appreciate you more than you will ever know.

I [Sherree] spoke a few weeks ago about my sweet friend who recently miscarried. As I was reading her latest blog entry, I was completely moved by a comment that read:
“God bless you as you continue to walk through the valley of your grief. The valley is where things grow. As beautiful as the view is from the mountain top, there’s no growth up there. We were not meant to live on top, we just get to go up there sometimes to see all the beautiful growth we have just made as we endure our trials.”

Wouldn't we all like to stay on that beautiful mountaintop but life is not that way.  Life will knock us down to the valley of grief, the valley of bad health, the valley of financial problems, the valley of family issues, the valley of friends issues, the valley of job issues ... and again, the list can go on and on.  I always say ... I may be thrown to the valley but I do not have to stay there.  I can look to the mountain top and know that someday I will be back up there.  Life is about growing and being the person that would please God.  I know I've grown so much in the almost two years since my diagnosis.  

I read something yesterday that literally slapped me right in the face.  The woman wrote about INV ... do you know what that stands for?  I didn't but I do now and by knowing what it is, I can fight it off ... INV = Inner Negative Voice.  Life before September 15, 2011, wasn't always the funnest for me because I was constantly listening to my INV.  Today I can tell you if the dag gone thing starts talking ... I slap it away before it can take control of my thoughts or life.  So many people probably do not realize they are listening to their INV, I sure didn't.  So throw off that INV and think about all that God has given us and live the life that God intended for you.  God doesn't put us in those difficult valleys but He is sure there waiting to give you a hand to start climbing out of the valley so that you do not stay there.  

***********************

If you have been wondering how the gardening is going ... it's NOT.  I have done away with three of the raised beds and just have one.  I think I have mentioned before that I got rid of the girls (chickens) and I must tell you it was the best thing to do.  Last year I had beautiful productive gardens and this year they were not good.  They grew more frustration than produce.  It was disheartening to know all that work that I put in to them went belly up along with the plants.  Lessons learned ... have just one bed and don't try to supply the world with tomatoes and peppers.  

***********************

There was a nice cloud cover this morning when I took my cup of coffee out with me when I went out with Tootie.  I sat down in one of the big white rockers and drank my coffee looking around at all of God's coloring book.  The grass is my back yard is green and starting to cover the spots with the raised beds were, the birds were flitting around with their friends in flocks, the clouds ... oh my goodness the beautiful of those fluffy white cotton-looking clouds were abundant.  While I know God does not sleep, He must have decided to get His colors out and all of a sudden the clouds took on a slight reddish tint.  Yep, God was up there coloring just for me.  Amazing.  

***********************

My little pooch that had gotten so sick is back to her old self.  Steroids are amazing and bless her heart, she's had several of them.  I called the vet yesterday to let him know that we had finished the steroids on Monday and that she was doing great.  He told me that was the best news he had gotten all day. So for now he says to watch her and if she slips back into the weakness in her legs to let him know immediately.  It is such a blessing to see her up and walking good and even running and who knew you could miss a bark so much and she is a little tub-o after gaining back her weight.  Thankful for this little pooch who has been my little pal for 8 years.

***********************

In closing ... I suggest you look around and thank God for what you see and what you have rather than looking around and saying ... if only I had ....   You have a lot to be thankful for so appreciate it and give your self a break.  I have a sweet friend who told me last year ... After my brain surgery I decided I was going to do the things I enjoy ... whatever that might be.  We never know how long we have here on earth so enjoy your life.  Thank you Karin.  Your words have echoed in my ears many times since we had that chat.  


Blessings abound... and most of them are right in front of your eyes.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment