Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Little Catch-Up Post

Needless to say that life has been busy.  I'm loving it and so thankful that I am here to enjoy the
busy-ness of it all.  I get tired but so does everyone else so I don't worry that ... oh no, it's the cancer. I think more along the lines of ... oh well, I'm tired and keep moving.  I told my daughter once that I would rest when I died.  Praise the Lord for being tired.

Last Monday I made my wonderful trip to Mexia, TX for my dentist appointment.  It takes me a little over two hours to get there so that means it takes me a little over two hours to get home.  I thoroughly enjoy the drive.  Once I exit off of I35 South at Hillsboro, there isn't such a rush rush atmosphere, however, the speed limit does get up to 70mph on this two lane highway.  On the way there, I kept seeing all these cotton fields and the cotton was still there, you know like it hadn't been picked yet.  Just the week before, my daughter who teaches 7th grade history said she needed some stems of cotton ... this was actually while we were at the local antique shop and they had some fake ones ... and after she looked at the price she said ... I'm not paying that much for fake cotton stems.

So being the good Mother that I am when I saw those cotton fields ... my thoughts were that I could stop and pick some stems of cotton for her.  And then those thoughts turned to the following thoughts ... 1) is that stealing if you stop and get a couple stems of cotton; 2) what would I do if a police man or state trooper stopped and ask me what I was doing; 3) what if the farmer who planted that cotton saw me and decided to beat me up or steal my car and leave me standing by the side of the road; 4) there was a lot of traffic on that road for me to stop and pick a few stems of cotton ... but ... guess what?  I pulled over on the side of the road, waited for all the cars to go by, jumped out of my car with my keys in my hand ... why I got my keys I have no idea ... and was heading down the little gulley thing that separated me and the cotton field and then as I was trotting up the other side to the edge of the cotton field this thought popped in to my chemo affected brain ... what if there's a rattle snake out here or what if there was a snake of any kind out here.  That was not one of the many things that popped in to my head before when I was deciding whether to stop or not.  Luckily there was not a rattle snake or any other snake between my car and the field because I would probably have wet my pants.  You see ... I don't hate many things ... but SNAKES.  They say ... leave them alone and they will leave you alone ... ba-lo-ney ... I see a snake and I run and it don't matter what's in front of me ... bed of nails,  hot asphalt or a hoe/shovel or any other garden tool  ... snakes might not directly hurt you but they will make you hurt yourself ... I know!  <laughing>

Before picking said 'cotton', I first took a quick picture of the growing cotton and then pulled two little stems off of different plants so as not to get too many off of one plant.  I stood up and was headed back to the car admiring my cottons stems and how proud my daughter would be to get them ...  and then I thought, maybe I'll get just one more so I turned around and trotted back (all the while looking for the snakes) and got one more.  Cotton is so cool on the stem ... did I take a picture of the stems when I got home?  NO ... I would do that before I posted that blog.  I just went to my daughter's bedroom where the cotton had been laying for a week to take a picture and discovered it's gone.  School starts next week and I guess she's taken it to school.  So all I've got is the picture of the field ... or the part of the field that would fit in my iPhone camera.    

I got the cotton, got back in the car all without a single car coming by, or the farmer or a state trooper.  The cotton I picked  is being used for learning purposes so I'm sure the farmer wouldn't mind.  Children these days probably don't see cotton growing in the city much.  

A little further up this Hwy 171, I could see a big truck pulling out and look what it was towing...
A house.  Yep, that's a house alright.  In this picture can you see the guard rails on each side of the road in front of my car?  That is a bridge ... wide enough for two cars ... not a house and car.  Well these guys that were on foot directing the traffic around the house, kept waving me on so I got to the bridge and saw how big the house was and decided to back up off the bridge and pull over and wait.    Besides I wanted to get a picture of the house as it got closer to share on my blog.  So I did what every other friendly farmer does, I sat and smiled and waved and snapped my pictures.
Below look at the house and the guard rails for that little bridge ... does it look like my Highlander would fit between that white line and that rail?  I don't think so ...  <smile>  There was a guy sitting on the hood of that truck and a guy standing on the running board by the driver.  They thought I was pretty cool for taking pictures... I just made that up ... they probably thought ... what a weirdo looking almost bald lady sitting here taking our picture.  <laughing>  Who cares what they thought ... I got the pictures.

Oh and by the way ... my teeth cleaning went well.  I didn't see my friend the dentist but may catch him next time.  Who knows.

On Wednesday of last week, I had an appointment with my breast surgeon.  Yeppers, I get to check in with her every six months now.  She looked at my scars and did the checking for lumps and bumps.  She laughed at me quite a bit during that visit ... I will spare you the details of our conversation.  I don't have to go back now for six months.  I love her and her staff to pieces but I'm happy to not have to see them for six months.

Thursday evening finally came ... I had plans .. BIG plans in my books.  I was going with two of my sweet friends, Sue Ann and Carol, to my first ever Pink event for Gateway Church.  This event was called ... Laugh.  The event was at the Southlake campus and I was so excited to get to see the new Church.  I go to a Gateway satellite campus' here by my house.  We have live worship music but Pastor Robert is on the big screens.  People ask me if I like that ... you know not getting to see him in person and my answer is ... Yes.  The new Southlake facility is so big that I would be watching him on the big screens anyway so why not save the gas and time and go right around the corner from my house?  The keynote speaker for the night was Jeanne Robertson.  I am including a couple of links for Jeanne's Youtubes.  Please click on them and listen and watch her ... she's a scream.  LAUGH was definitely a good name for the evening.  Jeanne refers to her hubby as ... left brain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFRUSTiFUs   Don't Send a Man to the Grocery Store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1_W0LCHwK4  Don't Bungee Jump Naked.

Below are three pictures I took from where we were sitting ... and guess what?  I didn't get a picture of the three of us.  <sad face>  But there's another Pink night coming October 25.  If you're interested let me know ... we will make it happen.




Friday rolled around and I happened to look on Facebook and the sweet nurse navigator at The Center had posted that there was a luncheon at The Center for anyone who had gone through, was going through or was supporting someone who had breast cancer.  I was taking off work early last Friday due to the fact that it was my day off anyway but I had gone to the office for a bit so I took off at 10:45 and headed to The Center.  It was a great lunch ... pasta and salad galore and wonderful cupcakes for dessert.  There wasn't a meeting ... a beautiful thank you Lord prayer that got us started and we went around the room and introduced ourselves and what we were going through or had been through.  Such a sweet group of ladies sharing their breast cancer journey.  After everyone had eaten it was picture time ... so guess what ... Yes, I got a picture.  I made new friends that day ... friends who I know I have something in common with and pray that God continues to bring them through the rushing waters of this disease.

And last but not least ... I kept my precious newest grand baby, Brooklyn.  Her Mommy and Daddy had to go to a wedding in Milwaukee so it was Grammy time galore for me.  Brooklyn and I bonded and had so much fun.  I mean who wouldn't have fun with me ... the Grammy and a 2 1/2 month old?  We talked and cooed at each other for hours.  Life is precious ... don't let it slip by ... cherish the precious moments.  I sure do.  Three of the pictures I got while I was with her.  (NOTE:  Someday I am going to learn how to arrange these pictures and possibly have text beside them like a professional.  That 'someday' is not going to be tonight though.  <smile>)
















And today (Tuesday) I learned if the model holds out for the tropical storm/hurricane headed in to the Florida area, it will impact Tallahassee.  Tallahassee is where my oldest nephew lives.  I text him today and sent him the models and he replied ... Wonder what it will be like?  No clue here but please let me know.  <smile>
Above:  See the 'blue blob' .. that's the storm... 

Above:  See the blue blob has moved upward toward
Florida panhandle.  As I mentioned, if it
holds together, the blue blob will
hit next Tuesday.  
Now if you happen to be interested, you can track the storm also.

Go to …. mag.ncep.noaa.gov

Model Area … Select NAMER
Model Type … Select GFS

Under SFC-Layer Parms … select 1000_500_thick
Under Forecast Hours … select Loop All

That should take you to the latest model.  You can click the screen at that point to make it larger and you can also click and hold to move the area which you want to see.  Please understand I'm no expert at this ... I just find it interesting.  

Weather is interesting and fun, I wonder why?  Do you think 27 years working for the agency that forecasts the weather has anything to do with it?  I am so thankful that 27 years ago last Saturday (August 18), I was told about a part time clerk typist position at the National Weather Service, I applied and got it.  What was a part-time gig, turned in to a full blown career.  I'm blessed to work for such a great agency and the many people who had crossed my path.  

As I come to the close of this post, I want to thank those who have emailed to check on me and ask if I am OK since I had not posted in a week.  That means a lot to me as do you who care to read about my life experiences.  I hope you find humor in most of my writings, I hope you see the joy I have when I write and feel every day that I am allowed to be here on this great God given earth.  I continue to be blessed every day.  I want to continue to walk in the light of His almighty glory.  

"... I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.  John 8:12
Blessed and praying blessings for you!  

genam44@charter.net

1 comment: