Friday, October 12, 2012

Finding the 'Reset' Button in Our Lives


Every morning when I get up, I look at the day ahead as a clean slate.  I try not to take yesterdays upheavals into my new day and I believe I do a good job at it.  I know that I am blessed despite the agitations and aggravations that come along.  However, I do not believe everyone gets it ... the 'it' being life.  Not everyone gets that in a blink of an eye we can be erased from this life like one swipe of the eraser on a chalk board.

I am speaking from my heart this morning.  I see things happening at in the email and texting world that just are not indicative of nice communication.  No, I do not live in a fairy tale world where I think everything is rainbows and lollipops all the time.  However, I do know that rude emails and mean/rude phone calls are not the way to handle frustrations.  I think we can all step back and ponder on things like ... (1)  Before I send this email with these accusations, is this really the person who has control of this?  (2)  If I were to receive this email knowing that I have no control over a situation, how would I feel/react.  (3) Most important of all ... Is this issue really going to matter in a week, month or year? The impact of a rude phone call or scathing email has lasting affects on a person when the situation is most likely not in the control of the person about to be attacked.

So I think this is where we need to hit the 'reset' button within ourselves and think before we speak, write an email or text.  Step back and think before you act.  Those words in that email, text or spoken word cannot be retracted.  Once they are out there, there is not a reset button or a retraction rope so that is where we need to make sure we hit the 'reset' button before putting the words out there.  Proverbs 16:24  Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bone.  My prayer is ... Lord, let my words be sweet as honey to everyone.

**************
This past Monday was a holiday for me.  I enjoyed the day just doing this and that.  About 3:00pm I was sitting in my recliner which sits in my den where I can see out my front door.  I was watching something on TV and saw an older Suburban pull up in front of my sister's house across the street.  A guy got out and then the Suburban backed up down the street.  I watched this guy as he went to her front door and rang the door bell and knocked on the door.  Of course there was no answer and he turned and headed down the side walk.  I got up out of my chair and stepped out on my front porch and yelled  ... Can I help you with something?  He replied ... Oh we were just in the neighborhood selling fruits and vegetables.  The immediate response in my mind ... RIGHT!  I yelled back ... We are not interested.  Then the Suburban pulls up and the guy gets in the car and they speed off.  Well being the Ms. Kravitz that I am ... I called the police.  Within two minutes police cars were swarming our street and area.  Bonnie came about 3:45pm to leave Braxton and as I went out to get him, an officer pulled up in front of the house next door to me.  I walked over and told him that I was the person who called in and explained to him what had happened, gave him a description of the guy, told him there was a guy driving the Suburban and there was a lady in the front passenger side, windows were down and how they sped off down my street and turned north at the corner. (NOTE: I am very observant.)   Turns out that I was not the only person to call in on these people.  The officer told me that as he was getting out of his car, he had heard there was a license plate turned in.  Police continued driving up and down our street and in the area that afternoon.  We have a "neighborhood watch" sign at each end of our street and we had one meeting years ago but nothing since.  There are several homes around mine that have retired folks who are home most of the time during the day.  I just hope they come out and look around during the day to see if anything looks strange.  When I was home after surgery and during chemo, I always made an effort to go out and check on any happenings on our street.

I talked about my flu and pneumonia vaccinations that I got on Wednesday and how sore my arm got ... OUCH!  Last night when I got out of the shower, I looked and I had red whelps all over the upper portion of my arm that I got the shots.  The whelps didn't itch but in an attempt to keep the rash from getting worse, I took a Benadryl (Wal-Dryl actually ... Walgreens brand).  One Benadryl knocked me out like a fallen log.  At 12:37am (just after midnight) I was hearing a buzzing noise and realized it was my cell phone on my night stand.  I looked at it and it was a BLOCKED call ... ugghhh!  I didn't answer but when I turned over to go back to sleep, I could see flashing lights.  OK, so admission here, I don't know that I wasn't .... ugggh ugghhh ... hallucinating.  I even sat up thinking I was going nuts (no comment... <smile>).  Needless to say, I slept very well last night, had a Benadryl hangover this morning ... now gone ... and the rash is still there.  The good in all this ... I'm vaccinated and the rash doesn't itch.  Praise the Lord.

I guess that's about it for this Friday morning.  While I only worked three days this week due to the holiday on Monday and today being a day off ... I am happy to be off.  Sometimes the things I spoke about above wear on a person and we just need a break.  I'm blessed to have the job that I have and my prayer is that others realize this as well.  Remember, pray before you speak or send that email.

Blessed and praying blessings for you today.


genam44@charter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment