Thursday, October 18, 2012

Happy 1 Year Anniversary to ME!!!!


Thank you sweet Father for your love and healing.  Thank you that you held my hand as I waded through the troubled waters of this past year and on those days that I could not walk on my own, You picked me up and carried me.  It is your name I praise and give the praise as I celebrate this day ... my one year anniversary of being cancer free.

The year behind me has gone by so fast.  A year ago today at this time of the morning - 5:00am - my sister and I were checking in at Baylor-All Saints Hospital for my double mastectomy.  It was a great day for me as I knew in a few hours I would have the cancer out of my body.  After we checked in and were placed in a room, my family began arriving and the medical staff got moving on all that had to be done before surgery.  I was taken down to a special room where they injected radioactive dye into my tumors.  Yes, that hurt.  The dye was to assist my doctor in finding any cancer that may have escaped from the tumors and into my lymph nodes.  As it turned out, there was 0.6 cm found in my sentinel lymph node under my left arm.  That required a little more extensive surgery to take 14 of my lymph nodes to ensure that all the cancer were gotten.  After a five hour surgery, I was reunited with family and friends and on my road to recovery.  Today ... join me as I praise the Lord who watches over us all and wants only the best for us.  I will celebrate today ... life, love and laughter.

Last night I had my own private celebration as both of my girls and all three of my grandbabies and my awesome son-in-law were here for the evening.  Bonnie and Buddy came for a visit but for me it was a celebration.  I can remember after my diagnosis how desperately I wanted to be here for my grandbabies ... I wanted to know them and I wanted them to know me.  Today I can say  ...  I'm here, I'm alive and I'm making the most of life.  How about you?

********************
On Monday I called The Center because I got anxious about the results of the 'tumor marker' blood test.  The results came back good - Praise the Lord.  My number for that test was 31 ... the number that the medical world wants it below is 38 ... and praise the Lord that mine was.  I ask what my number was when I was diagnosed and it was 39.  Please continue to pray that all the cancer is completely gone from my system.  I am truly thankful and blessed.

********************
On Tuesday I had my eyes checked.  I was just sure that something was amiss with my distance vision but I got good news ... nothing was wrong.  My doctor told me that as we age, our eyes take a little longer to focus.  GREAT news!  My up close vision is another story ... the story a bunch of us live with every day.  I got a new prescription for reading glasses and also contacts.  I tried contacts a few years ago and loved them.  My issue was that my eyes produce quite a bit of protein and that clouds the contact.  Since that time, they have come out with a new cleaner and contraption.  I'm gonna give it try because contacts are definitely my preference.

********************
The week has been really busy at work but I'm so thankful for the job and benefits that I have.  I work with a great group of people and I still love the look of amazement when someone ask me where I work and I tell them ... the National Weather Service.  I quickly let them know I am not a meteorologist and responsible for any issues they have with the forecasts.  <laughing>  Just kidding to any of the meteorologist I work with.  <smile>

So this morning as every joint in my body seems to be screaming at me with pain due to the Arimidex (estrogen inhibitor) I say ...  Life is good, I am blessed and looking forward to many years of playing with my grandbabies.  I leave you today with a happy heart and praising my God.

Blessed and praying blessings for you today.
genam44@charter.net

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I am so glad the first year is over for you. What a year it was and to look at you today you look stronger than ever. God is so good and I am so grateful that he stood beside you and carried you when he needed through this journey. You reminded us all that God is always here for us...we just need to acknowledge his presence. Love you my friend and am so glad to be telling you this today! Patt

    ReplyDelete