Wednesday, October 10, 2012

One Year ...

Today I went to The Center for my one year check-up. The year anniversary is on the day I became cancer free which is my mastectomy date and is actually October 18 so give or take a few days, I'm there. I got my blood drawn ... OUCH! I forgot how bad it hurts to be stuck. The blood draw lady hit the vein the first time ... I was praying by the way ... she had no doubt that she would hit it, I, on the other hand, wasn't so sure. Praise the Lord she did. Then it was off to Dr. Young's waiting room until time for my appointment. I was told they had moved me to see Gayla instead of Helena and I was upset about that. Don't judge me about being a baby unless you have sat where I'm sitting. I wanted to see Helena ... today was a big day and she has taken care of me now for a full year. As it turned out, I was able to see my precious Helena.

She came in the room and we did our wonderful hugs that we do and I cried. I cried because I was scared. I had been introduced to a two new words during the blood draw process ... the words are ... tumor markers. Tumor markers are what they look at in my blood reports and I think if these specific markers are elevated it could mean there is problems somewhere in my body ... like more cancer. I will have to read up on tumor markers in order to educate anyone else.  I was scared. Scared of what I don't know. Scared that the tumor markers would come back showing something was amiss in my body. Helena was so sweet and kind and she sat almost knee to knee with me and we talked and I felt the panicky scarey feeling subside. I know this is all part of my further observation for at least the next five years but doesn't take the scarey away. I cried out to God to please let everything be OK. Helena assured me that she would call me when she got the results back for that test.

On the other blood work note, it was all great she said. She checked me over and felt of things like my liver and spleen (I think) and did the usual chest check (there are no breasts so it's not a breast check anymore). She told me something that I wasn't doing ... checking along my scar line. I had her feel of some soft tissue on my right side that has kinda just developed. We believe the tightly pulled skin and tissue is loosening up a bit across my scar area. I must say that area has been extremely tight and I'm happy about the loosening. I left the office with two new words and a calmer soul and heart than when I first heard those words ... tumor markers.

I went upstairs after checking out and got my flu and pneumonia shot. My right arm is pretty dag gone sore at this point. OUCH! ... it didn't hurt when I got the shots. After that ,,, away I went back to work. Unless something shows up in the tumor marker blood work, I don't have to go back until January 2, 2013. My faith tells me to be still and that I'm OK. The word colonoscopy was mentioned in my time with Helena. It was something I had already been thinking about so tomorrow I'll call that doctor (I had one at the age of 50) and see when he said I should come back.

I don't know if anyone out there watches the show Parenthood ... it airs on Tuesday nights here in my area. One of the ladies was diagnosed with breast cancer and each week there have been little snippits of what's going on with her. Her name is Kristina and she plays a great role in this show. I have often spoke about how terribly hard it was for me to tell my family that I had breast cancer. As I watched the show last night, Kristina nailed it when she told her family ... I've included the video clip from the show. It brings tears to my eyes to watch her and to remember that difficult day in my life. Take about 3 minutes and watch ...

Since Women of Faith weekend I have not been able to get to church so today I started catching up on the sermons. Pastor Robert is doing a series on prayer. Oh my goodness ... did I ever need the first one. I am including the link in case you have about 30 minutes after you watch the short clip from Parenthood. I know you will get something out of it ... I sure did! http://gatewaypeople.com/sermons/147411

I pray things are going well in your world. Around here things are great. My grand babies are growing and talking and REPEATING things they hear. They are the apples of this ole Grammy's eye.

Psalm 18:2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

 Blessed and praying blessings for you today.

genam44@charter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment