Friday, November 25, 2011

Apple Pie

Today I can tell you that breast cancer has been a blessing for me.  When I was first diagnosed I cannot tell you how many survivor sisters that I talked to that told me this.  As I have continued my journey through breast cancer, I get it!  I know now why they said that.  My diagnosis made me realize that I was living life in the fast lane.  Oh you know ... I gotta do this and gotta do that NOW.  My house had to be spotless and my yard immaculate.  Poooeeeyyyy !  My diagnosis made me realize that none of that stuff really matters.  What matters is loving and living for right now.  I don't put off things that I would otherwise put off.  Read on about the apple pie adventure yesterday ....

Yesterday we began cooking for our Thanksgiving feast for today.  You know all the things that can be prepared in advance.   First things first ... homemade apple pie.  My nephew, Justin, and I were in the kitchen and I began cutting up my Granny Smith and Golden Delicious apples.  These apples provide tart and sweet for a pie.  Justin mentioned that he just loves Honey Crisp apples and I said there were Honey Crisp in the fridge so he grabbed one and I cut it up and put it in the pie.  Along with the apples, I added brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, fresh lemon rind and juice.  Justin looked at me and ask me if I measure anything ... Nope, just throw it in the pie.  We tasted the apple goodness and knew we were on to a great pie.  After the taste test, then came the butter (Parkay).  I do not make my own pie crusts but Pillsbury does.  I rolled the bottom crust out and we put our apple goodness in the pie and then layed the top crust on and sealed it.  We stabbed the top of the pie crust for ventilation and in the oven it went.  I watched that pie bake for nigh on to 45-50 minutes and the smell was just beyond. 

Justin had gone home (across the street) and went and cleaned his FJ Cruiser up and I stepped out on the front porch to sweep the leaves away from the door.  (NOTE, when leaves are tracked in to the house, there are two little babies who just love to put them in their mouth and crunch).  I yelled at Justin across the street and told him I had taken the pie out of the oven and while cleaning up the little leak with a papertowel, I couldn't resist tasting the juice ... oh my goodness ... Mrs. Smith's hasn't got anything on me as far as apple pies.  I told Justin when he got finished cleaning his car to come over because I planned to cut that pie and have a piece ... after all I've had cancer and I don't put things off anymore.  He got finished and washed up and came on over for our taste test.  But first we had to take a picture of our pie ...
Isn't it pretty?  We cut the pie and shared a piece and oooohhhhed and aaaaahhhhhed the entire time.  Then my sister came over to check on the progress of the things that I was doing and we told her what we had done with the pie so she indulged in a piece also.  So today for our Thanksgiving feast, there is still a wonderful apple pie but when we get desserts out, this is what everyone else will find ....
... a beautiful pie with a couple of pieces missing.   And you know what .... I'm ok with it.

Today I am beyond thankful.  Thankful for the life that God has allowed me to have and thankful for the family and friends who surround me.  I am thankful for the many survivor sisters that have been put in my path. 

So today ... don't wait to have that piece of apple pie ... just go ahead and have it. 

2 Corinthians 9:15  

15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

Blessings on this fabulous Friday ...

No comments:

Post a Comment