Monday, November 7, 2011

Blessings Abound

Numbers 6:24-26   "The LORD bless you and keep you;the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace."

God continues to bless me and my family so much.  He continues to strengthen me every day and never leaves my side.  He is allowing my body to heal at just the rate it is supposed to and when I get discouraged with my remaining drain, He pulls me through.  My body seems to be ridding itself of some type of white tissue (maybe it's arm pit fat <smile>) through this drain.  As this white stuff is exiting my body through the drain, it clogs it up and the lymphatic fluid starts coming out of the spot where the drain is inserted in my side.  Nothing hurts but it is yucky when my shirt gets wet from the fluid.  My sister has changed the dressing on the drain twice this weekend due to clogs.  I am going back tomorrow to the surgeon to see about getting the drain removed but I doubt it will be happening as it is still draining way over 30 cc in a 24 hour period.  And to tell you the truth, I don't know that I want them to take it out until it stops draining so much.  That fluid has to go somewhere and while the doctor says your body will begin absorbing it, I guess I get a  little skeptical about what if it doesn't.  Then it will pool in my arm pit and under my arm pit.  Nope, I reckon I'm ok with keeping the drain until it slows down on the drainage.

Friday was a good day with two appointments at The Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders aka The Center.  I had my echocardiogram at 1:30 so the doctors could see that my heart functions are good to ensure it can handle the chemo.  When they get my port in, it will run directly into my heart which will be placed on the right side of my chest.  The chemo will be administered in this port which goes right in to my heart.  Now I gotta tell you that when my surgeon told me last week that the port goes in the artery or vein that goes straight in to my heart, I got scared.  You know ... not only are they injecting me with harsh drugs to kill any loose gun cancer cells but they are putting it right in my heart which is kinda scarey.  Dr. Chow immediately said not to worry about that so I shut down my run away mind and put my trust in God and my doctors.  Anyway, the guy that was doing my echo told me as he was leaving the room for me to put that little white paper cape on and before he left he said ... "Take your shirt and bra off and put the cape on".  REALLY ... take my bra off ... do I look like I need a bra?  <LAUGH> 

After that appointment, my wonderful friend, Alverna, and I waited until time for the chemo education class.  That appointment was to start at 3:00 but we began at 2:45 watching a little informational video and then one the chemo nurses, Lydia, came in to give me in depth detail about chemo and the drugs that I will be taking.  I will try to give you a shortened version of what we were told.  Chemo education classes usually last an hour and we were talking (or listening) to Lydia for two hours. 

My chemo is scheduled to begin on Monday, November 28.  On Sunday, November 27 I begin taking one of the anti-nausea medications called Decadron.  Lydia gave me a schedule on a calendar for me with medications that I take prior to chemo and after chemo.  Decadron begins on Sunday and she says to take my first one at 2:00am Sunday morning and again at 2:00pm Sunday afternoon.  Side affects of this handy dandy med is it causes insomnia.  Great ... you want me to wake up and take a med to prevent nausea but stay awake the rest of the night.  <laughing>  The reason for this schedule is so that the 2:00pm dose is at least 6 hours before bed time but wait, the schedule to take the next one is at 2:00am Monday morning and 2:00pm Monday afternoon.  This med is taken for three days. 

On Monday, November 28 my chemo appointment is scheduled to begin at 11:00am.  I have to get to The Center at 10:30am to check in at the front desk, go up to the chemo room for blood draw, back downstairs to see my Oncologist or her nurse practitioner, Helena, then back upstairs to begin chemo. 
Oh and by the way, the prisoners come to take chemo on Monday's also and there are armed guards who guard them while they are there.  And they get to sit in the area that I was looking forward to getting to sit. <smile>

Once the chemo begins, I will be given Aloxi which is an anti-nausea med and Benadryl and Emend, another anti-nausea med and another dose of Decadron all before the harsh drugs begin.  All of this is administered in my port which <remember> is going straight in to my heart. Remember, Lydia, the chemo nurse, she has a specific order she administers the chemo (I hope I get her every time but there are two other chemo nurses and one of them does the same order as Lydia). 

Lydia's order of chemo drugs is - Adriamycin (Doxorubicin) aka Red Devil.  The Adriamycin takes 10 minutes to drip in through the port.  Some side affects of Adriamycin are hair loss, low blood count, red urine, nausea, diarrhea and fatigue and oh yes, mouth sores.  So once, the Red Devil is finished dripping into my system, next comes Taxotere.  Taxotere has pretty much the same side affects as the Red Devil with flu-like symptoms and muscle and joint pain and histamine issues.  Something I found interesting about Taxotere is it is made from the bark of the Pacific Yew tree.  Here's a little more information I found about Taxotere.  http://www.chemocare.com/bio/taxotere.asp
It takes about an hour for the Taxotere to drip in to my system.  The last chemo drug is Cytoxan.  Some of the side affects of Cytoxan is nasal congestion and sinus headache hence the need for the Benadryl.  The process for the administering of my chemo will take 3-4 hours. The day after the chemo is administered, I will begin on another anti-nausea medication, Zofran, as well as be given a shot of Neulasta.  Neulasta builds your white blood cells back up and is a time released medication which lasts up to 10 days.  The injection can be given in my tummy or arm.  Side affects of Neulasta is bone and joint pain. 

Now when I think about all the things that are to come and all the medications and drugs that will be in my body I could freak out but I'm not.  I will cling to my faith that my body will be able to handle all of this treatment with no problems.  I think what causes me to freak out is I'm a person who doesn't take much medicine.  Except for  my migraines, I have always been pretty healthy and for that, I praise my Lord.  The prescription I take for my migraines is Imitrex and that is only on an as needed basis.  PRAYER REQUEST --  Pray that my body will handle all of this medication and my treatment goes smooth. 

At this time I have three appointments scheduled for this week.  Tuesday is back to Dr. Chow's office for drain check.  When I was in there last Tuesday, they were talking about being able to take the drain out on Tuesday ... we will see.  Thursday I have a consultation appointment with the Radiation Oncolgoist for him to tell me if he feels I will need radiation after chemo.  Friday is my Look Good Feel Better class where they teach you some tricks of the trade on taking care of your skin and make-up during chemo. 

On Saturday we celebrated my grand daughter, Madelyn's first birthday.  This past year has been very eventful and has gone by so fast.  There were so many people who came to celebrate this special little girls birthday and she got lots of new toys and clothes.  Her Mommy made her special day the best that a little princess could have.  Here's a picture of me and the little princess.   She had on a little pink tutu and black leggings and little black shoes. 

And here's my little precious grandson, Braxton.  He stands alone, no steps just yet but that will happen soon enough with both of them. 


I can hold my grandbabies as long as someone puts them in my arms.  I am not supposed to lift anything weighing over 5 lbs.  My right arm is very functional, my left arm not quite as functional but it will get there. 

I continue to plan ahead for lots of things that I know are to come.  Saturday after the party, my sister took me out to Sam Moon's for a little hat/cap embellishment shopping.  I picked up some pins and Christmas pins ... ok to the tune of $100.  It ain't cheap to lose your hair.  It was definintely rest time after that trip and then my sister and I called in a pizza and we endulged in a couple pieces of pizza and chocolate dessert. 

On Sunday my friend from work, Jeff and his wife came by and brought us a brisket that Jeff has smoked.  It was wonderfull getting to meet his wife and visit with them.  The brisket was awesome.  We had made baked beans and potato salad to go with the brisket.  I can't wait until lunch today to have a repeat of last night's dinner. 

While updating my blog, my drain began leaking again so I have mashed and rolled the line where it comes out of my body and emptied the drain.  In a 12 hour period, there was 15 cc which is a good start for this 24 hours.  So I will contend with the leakiness today until my sister gets home to redress. 

That's all I have for today.  All is going well and I am feeling better and getting stronger every day.  I don't think much about what's to come because I know my Father has it all under control so why should I worry.  He's lighting my path and continues to hold my hand and for that I am so thankful. 

Psalm 119:105   Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, And light unto my path.

Blessings for your Monday.
Gena

No comments:

Post a Comment