Friday, November 4, 2011

The Simple Things

You know I don't feel like I've ever taken much in my life for granted.  I have worked very hard all my life and appreciate all God has given me.  I never took good health for granted ... ever.  I've watched people I love dearly struggle with health issues and know the importance of good health.  But a smaller thing that maybe some take for granted but I gotta tell ya ... not me.  MY BED.  I love my bed.  It's comfortable, the feel of the cool crisp sheets, the warmth from the blanket, all my pillows that I cuddle with, the comfort of my little pooch on her side of the bed.  I just love my bed. 

Before my surgery, we prepared for what was to come.  I knew the extent of my surgery would be great.  I knew I would not have full use of my arms for a while.  I have a ladies recliner.  It's smaller in size and fits my small frame.  My sister has a larger leather recliner which reclines further back than mine so we thought it a good idea to switch out recliners for a while.  My son in law and the neighbor, Collin, switched those chairs out the weekend before my surgery.  On October 19 when I got home from the hospital after my surgery, my sister's recliner was perfect for me to lay in.  I could not make it go back nor could I make it go down but as long as someone was here with me, I could get assistance.  So for two weeks after my surgery I was able to use her recliner.  After about a week, I began sleeping on the couch which was also comfortable for me as long as I was propped up with many pillows and had pillows under my knees to keep me from sliding down. 

Last weekend I ask that the recliners be switched back because the big leather recliner was too much for me to handle being here alone during the day and with still somewhat limited arm use, I knew my recliner would just be a better fit.  So once again, my son in law and neighbor swapped the recliners back.  Ahhhhh yes, my sweet little recliner. 

Wednesday after I had the two drains removed, I went ahead and slept on the couch again but sure wanted to sleep in my bed.  I think some of my family was still a little skeptical about this effort but if you know me, you know my determination.  Yesterday my friend, Sue Ann, came out and took me to run a couple of errands and when we got home, she changed the sheets on my bed and I slept in my bed last night. 

Oh the sweet feel of the cool clean crisp sheets.  The stand fan and the ceiling fan blowing right on me.  The cool cuddle of all my pillows.  It was like sleeping in the clouds.  I was even able to lay on my right side where the two drains have been removed.  The puncture holes where the drains were are still bruised and kinda sore but with enough turning and adjusting, I was able to get comfortable on my right side and sleep with the air blowing on me.  Praise the Lord. 

Now this post may seem very menial to you but it's not.  I think sometimes the simple things are taken for granted ... something as simple as being able to sleep in your own bed.  And I'm not talking about just sleeping in your own bed, I'm talking about life in general.  Take that coffee away for a day or two and see how much you miss it.  We take for granted that things like that will always be here and we will always be able to enjoy. 

I challenge you today to stop and think about everything you touch and everything that means something to you as you touch it or use it.  Do you take it for granted that that particular item or drink or food will always be there?  Don't! 

A little update about me.  I was able to run a couple errands tomorrow with my friend, Sue Ann.  Since I can't drive for at least a couple more weeks, it's so good to have friends and family who are willing to take me places ... some times to just get out of the house.  It's not that I am back up to full strength because I know I'm not quite there yet, but I do feel good and my incisions are healing really well.  I pushed for a little more mobility in my left arm yesterday and it was ok.  It was achy last night but took a couple Advil for relief.  With the drain line still in the lymph node area, I was told not to push it too much. 

Wednesday I stood outside to talk to Justin, the yard guy and the wind was blowing pretty hard.  By the time my friend got here to take me to the doctor appointment, my sinus had gone wild and I had a tickle cough which turned into drainage which turned in to full blown laryngitis.  I fought that all day yesterday and have talked outloud to myself this morning and I think it's still here.  Trying to talk with no voice wears me out.  <smile>  Guess I shouldn't talk, huh?  Well that ain't happening!!!

Today I leave you with a full heart and a healing body.  I have my echocardiogram this afternoon and my chemo class.  They have to ensure my heart is ok for chemo and the chemo class teaches you about what to expect while taking chemo.  Knowledge is power ... I'm all about learning everything I can that will help me continue walking this journey.

Mark 11:22-24  22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. 23 “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Leaving you today ... Belieiving in the power of our almighty God.  He alone has healed my body, my mind and my spirit. 

Blessings,
Gena

No comments:

Post a Comment