Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Today I think back once again about how far I have come since September 15 when I received my breast cancer diagnosis.  That day my world turned black.  I cried.  I hugged my family tighter.  I was holding on to life.  That's what we do when we find out something so devastating, isn't it?   I want to remind you as you read this, DO NOT wait until devastation sets in ... Tell those you love that you love them and never ever miss an opportunity to get a hug.  I have always done this and I continue to hug and express my love every minute of every day.  Today I am in a much much better place than I was back then.  I have always been thankful for good health and today is no different.  God has done just as He promised in Psalm 23 ...

Psalm 23  
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
   I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Yesterday I looked  and figured my chemo schedule through the upcoming six treatments and if I have figured this every three week treatment schedule correclty it appears my last chemo treatment will be March 12.  That is one week after my birthday.  At that time, I will be finished with that leg of my journey.  We will wait one month before I begin the 6 1/2 week daily (Monday - Friday) radiation regime which I believe will begin around April 23.  Looking at all of these dates, I will be very close to being finished with my treatments by the time my new grandbaby is due May 28.   Glory Hallelujah!  God is so good. 

Another praise ... I have been very diligent about my arm exercises and I praise God that my right arm is doing great.  I can now stand sideways next to the wall and stretch my right arm all the way up straight.  AND my left arm is getting there.  My left arm is about 80% + straight up when I do the wall exercises.  These wall exercises entail standing about a foot away from the wall and then beginning walking my hand straight up the wall and the farther I get up the wall, I step closer to the wall.  It is very painful but I will get this accomplished.   

We will have our Thankgiving tomorrow to accomodate everyone's schedule.  My girls schedules are crazy busy around the holidays and I want to be accomodating to them and my nephew who wants to stay in College Station to go to the Aggie football game today.  My oldest nephew drove in from Florida yesterday and got here sometime way after I went to bed.  Can't wait to see him and give him a hug. 

This past Monday, my girls and I went to Survivor Gal, the shop in Baylor-All Saints so they could see me try on some of the wigs they have there.  As it turns out the wig that I originally had picked out is a NO go.  Instead we found another one that is way cuter and even darker in color.  Kathy, the lady helping me, ordered it for me and next Wednesday when I am over that way for my appointment with my surgeon, I will go have the wig stylist trim the wig up for me.  I am blessed in this respect as my insurance will pay a large percentage of my wig. 

I am so thankful that I was able to get all, I mean ALL, of my Christmas shopping done this week.  I plan to get everything wrapped this weekend and then I am ready to face my chemo on Monday and not have to think about being out amongst the many shoppers in the coming month.  How's your shopping going? 

I know you feel as blessed and thankful as I do.  I wish for you all a beautiful Thanksgiving with family and friends.  Today when you say grace and thank God for your bounties, ask God to be with those who are less fortunate than you.  Make it a good day. 

God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say "thank you?" ~William A. Ward

Blessings,
Gena
g_morrison12@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment