Friday, November 11, 2011

More Updates

My praise report begins this morning with an early morning empty of my remaining drain.  It was down to 7.5cc this morning a 5:15am.  The power of prayer is amazing.  Also on Wednesday, I began being able to move my left arm a little more.  It's healing and I am Praising the Lord.  While I know the drain will come out next Tuesday regardless of the drainage, I just want the drainage to be down as much as possible.  I continue to ask for your prayers.  Pray that the drainage continues to decrease.  All the prayer is working.  God has shown His majestic miracles just this week with my left arm movement and the slow down on the drainage. 

Yesterday I had outpatient surgery to put my chemo port in by my right collar bone.  I woke yesterday with a headache after not sleeping well the night before.  My friend, Alverna, picked me up at 5:45am so we could be at the hospital at 6:30 for check in.  The surgery was scheduled for 8:30am, it ran a little late due to an in hospital emergency surgery by my surgeon.  Once I was taken in to the preparation area for surgery, the IV was started and they gave me a shot of morphine for my headache.  Morphine through an IV works really quick for a headache but while it's going through your body, you all of a sudden feel like you're having a heart attack with the heaviness that washes over your entire body.  That feeling only lasted a short time and then the headache went away. 

They continued prepping me for the surgery and I talked to the anesthesiologist about not putting me way under but just a twilight sleep.  He said that is what he would do and then Dr. Bayouth, my surgeon, would deaden my shoulder to perform the surgery.  Dr. Bayouth had told me the day before when I talked to him that I would feel like someone had punched me in the shoulder, he didn't say it would feel like they hit me with a baseball bat.  <smile> 

I only remember getting to the operating room and moving over to the operating table and I was out.  I was wide awake when we got in there, just like the day that I had my 'breast reduction' but then out like a light.  I think there must be some kind of sleeping air in the OR for the patient.  I do not remember coming out of surgery or being in recovery talking to Alverna.  I just woke up in my room in the outpatient area. 

I had the sweetest nurse, Selena.  She was definitely fulfilling her calling to be a nurse.  She went way beyond the call of duty for me and I thanked God for her.  She got me anything I wanted and right before she was going to wheel chair me out to the car, she gave me three additional dressings for my drain.  I wish Ms. Selena all the best that God has to offer.

I got sick at my stomach by the time we got back home and lost all the Sprite and crackers I had after surgery.  I'm not sure if it was because of being the second surgery in three weeks or if the morphine made me sick or just what.  I was able to keep soup and Sprite down about 2:00pm and able to eat a bite of dinner with my girls.  Bonnie came over and made dinner and it was so good.  After she left, I layed on the couch and slept until time to go to bed. 

This morning I'm up and moving slow but definitely moving.  My right shoulder is sore but tolerable.  I know that the more I move it, the sooner the soreness and bruising will go away.  I have antibiotics to take for five days to keep my body from rejecting the port.  PRAYER REQUEST:  Pray that this area heals and the antibiotics keeps any infection of rejection away.  

God continues to walk with me and hold me up when I feel like I just can't keep moving.  He continues to carry me.  He is my awesome Father and for that I am eternally grateful. 














Today I have my Look Better Feel Good class at The Center.  I'm happy that I feel like going because this class teaches you how to do things to make yourself feel better while going through chemo.  I feel so blessed to be a part of such a wonderful Center that wants to help people get through the difficult times of cancer and treatment and it's all free.  I plan to definitely give back to The Center once I get through my treatments. 

Psalm 103:1-3 Bless the Lord, Oh my soul: and all that is within me, bless His holy name. Bless the Lord, oh my soul, and forget not all His benefits-- Who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases.
I think about where I was on September 15, 2011, the day I found out my breast cancer diagnosis and I think about where I am today.  With the love of God, prayers and great support from all my family and friends, I have moved from that dark place of the scarey unknown to the light and hope of living a very long and productive life.  For all ... I am so very grateful and thankful. 

Blessings!
Gena



No comments:

Post a Comment