Friday, June 8, 2012

What Happens Now ... and other stuff!

Thursday I had blood work and an appointment with Helena, at the Center for a check up/review of progress/additional information.  My blood counts look great and Helena checked my radiation area and said it looks good.  She says it will eventually pretty much all peel, it has started.  It's primarily under my arm where I got the higher does of radiation.  The tenderness is not as bad as it was so I know it's healing.  Praise the Lord.

Helena and I discussed the appointment last week with Dr. V., for the consultation about my hysterectomy.  She was somewhat surprised about the two hour wait and that I still had not been seen.  I shared with her that I didn't think that Dr. V. would be a good fit for me and she totally understood.  She shared a story about a physician she saw 'once' during her breast cancer journey.  She had one appointment and said she never went back, so it does happen.  If you are walking the breast cancer journey or any other health journey and you do not feel connected to your physician, do not feel you are locked in to that person, you can change.  You can request your records and find someone you feel comfortable and confident in.  Helena sent the referral to a gynecologist, Dr. K., that she and her daughters use.  She feels that I will like her so I am anxious to meet her.  I need a gynecologist as I will not be returning to the one I was using.

We discussed an exercise program and Helena has referred me to the Moncrief Center as they have a free program that includes a trainer for patients like myself who are ready to get back in to the physical fitness  again.  I told Helena that I had thought about joining the gym here close to my house and just jumping in to the Zumba and other classes and she suggested I start with the program at the Moncrief Center first.  I am in agreement with that.  So I will give them a call and see what they offer and when.

Helena was having the lab check my blood work to see where I am as far as the menopausal phase of my life.  She didn't want me to start taking the Arimidex (estrogen inhibitor) until she saw the numbers for the hormone levels that are still in my body.  I got the Arimidex prescription and had it filled at the Center pharmacy but will not begin taking until I call on Monday for the results of the blood work and get approval from Helena to begin taking the Arimidex.  We went over the side affects of the Arimidex and I was happy to know that it does not cause weight gain but rather can make it difficult to lose weight.  Here again ... people who tell you things that are not really true.  I had someone tell me the estrogen inhibitors cause weight gain and that doesn't seem to be the case.  I so appreciate the thoroughness of the medical staff at the Center.

I look back now as to how far I have come since my diagnosis and it truly seems a distant memory.  I am so thankful that I have written my blog and captured everything because it is amazing how God removes the memories of all a cancer patient goes through.  I did not think that could possibly happen but it does.  I can pull from my memory bank but I do not sit around and dwell on what my body has been through.  I now am looking to the future and all the goodness it holds.

On to my new grandbaby, Brooklyn.  She's doing very well ... has had her nights and days kinda reversed but hopefully that is getting better.  I'm off work today so I am going over to help Bonnie to get her nursery fixed up and decorated.  This is right up my alley.  <smile>

Madelyn and Braxton are growing and really talking more and giving more hugs to Grammy.  My heart melts when one of them walk up to me and grab my finger and want me to take them outside.  It is sometimes a little warm but I try to get them out there as much as possible.  They both love the outdoors.  I'm happy about that so that they do not sit around and become couch potato TV watching kiddos.

Yesterday the devil thought he was going to visit my world but I slapped the fire out of him and said ... be gone!  I was sent a fairly big research project at work and I could feel the tightening of my body and almost panic in myself when I saw the amount of information needed and was due today (Friday) but after saying ... God, you've got this ... a calm came over me and I got the project completed and sent on its way.  I am telling you if you are not slapping the devil away and talking to God, the devil will take control of your world and upset it.  I  refuse to let that happen.
Matthew 4:10-11  Jesus said to him, "Away from me Satan!  For it is written, 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only.  Then the devil left and the angels came and attended Him.  

I close today with love, compassion, and prayer for those continuing to walk the journey of cancer and treatments.  I promise you all that you will get through this and come across the troubled waters and look back realizing that "you did it" ... that the waters didn't sweep you downstream and you are alive and moving forward.  Time will heal our body and the memory of all our bodies have endured and we will become stronger in the process.  Praise God today for the strength He has provided thus far during your journey.

Praises:
*  My little grand daughter, Brooklyn, is thriving and doing well.  Hopefully she will get the days and nights turned around and adjusted.
*  Bonnie is healing and doing very well.
*  Braxton and Madelyn continue to thrive as they are growing and learning all sorts of new things.
*  God continues to walk and carry my survivor sisters through their treatments.
*  God continues healing my body and mind.
*  Life ... it is good.

Prayer Request:
*  Anyone recently diagnosed with breast cancer and feels lost and scared and abandoned.
*  My friend, Michelle, as she finishes out the week after her final round of chemo.
*  My friend, Wendi, as she is four weeks after last round of chemo.
*  My friend Wendy in Amarillo, who bravely continues her treatments.
*  My friend, Judy, as she continues to the next phase of her journey.
*  My friend, Shirley, as she battles the leukemia that has taken a hold on her body.  Her hubby, Steve, who is caring for her.

Romans 12:10  Be devoted to one another in love.  Honor one another above yourselves.
When we put others first, we find joy and peace within and we do not concentrate on our aches and pains or things that are of no real consequence in our lives.  You can find joy in doing for others.  Give it a try ... you will be glad you did.

Blessed and praying blessings for you today... this day that the Lord has made.



gkmorrison12@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh my friend...like you I had to find a new OB/GYN since our Dr. Minton retired. I ended up with the fabulous Doctor Beatrice Kuztler...I love her. I hope your Dr. K.is the same. At any rate I agree totally with your advice. If the doctor doesn't feel right to you get a new one. As always I love to read your blog....
    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gena I enjoy so much reading your blogs! God's blessings on you as you continue your journey.
    Love,
    Kristi Bonner

    ReplyDelete