Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Chemo Round #2 Complete

Yesterday morning proved busy before leaving for my second round of chemo.  Since Tootie had been so sick, I called the vet and got her in before I left for chemo.  Next I grabbed the checkbook and house taxes statement and headed out to the sub-courthouse to pay my yearly taxes.  Got back and while I am on annual leave this week, I logged in to my work email and took care of some emails.  My friend, Alverna, got here and I packed up and away we went for another busy day at The Center.

Tootie - The vet ran blood work on her and then gave her a shot with medicine in it to settle her stomach.  They offered her some canned ID dog food which she loves and she ended up eating four servings for the several hours she was there.  There was good news as the blood work came back good, he said if he thought that we should watch anything, it was her pancreas.  But at that he didn't see anything really strange.  She is on two antibiotics one of which has an inflammatory drug in it.  She was her usual bundle of energy when Alverna and I got there close to 5:00pm to pick her.

Chemo Round #2 - Blood work check came back very good so I was ready for another round.  I ask Helena, Oncologist Nurse Practitioner, if (1) she thought I would benefit from B12 shots.  Her answer was she didn't feel I needed it because my blood counts rose so well after the treatments.  (2) If I could begin taking Juice Plus is whole food based nutrition, including juice powder concentrates from 17 different fruits, vegetables and grains. Each ingredient is specially selected to provide a broad range of nutritional benefits.  Juice Plus+ is a complement to a healthy diet. Juice Plus+ is the simple, convenient, and inexpensive way to add more nutrition from fruits and vegetables to your diet, every day. Juice Plus+ is supported by clinical research conducted by researchers at leading hospitals and universities around the world and published in peer-reviewed scientific journals. Juice Plus+ is recommended by thousands of doctors and health professionals around the world.  My precious doctor of 29 years who is now retired suggested to my sister that I begin taking Juice Plus.  Helena was very informed about Juice Plus and said I could take it, just not the day before, day of or day after chemo.  I will begin taking this soon.  For additional information on Juice Plus, visit the following link ...  https://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/content/Welcome.soa

After the appointment with Helena, it was back up stairs and grab a chair and wait to be hooked up.  It was just a few minutes and my port was being flushed, the Aloxi (anti-nausea med) and Benadryl was being run through.  Then the Adriamycin aka Red Devil was begin the cocktail.  I found out they like to infuse this drug first so with all the water I drink, it will flush very quickly through my kidneys and not just sit in there.  Next in my cocktail is the Taxotere.  Taxotere has a side effect of turning your fingernails blue so they give you an ice pack covered in a cloth and you hold your fingertips on the ice to shrink the little blood vessels in the tips of your fingernails which keeps the Taxotere from getting in there and your nails won't turn blue.  This, of course, would be temporary until the chemo stops but if I can avoid any more changes, I will give it a try.  The last part of the cocktail is the Cytoxcin.  I don't know of any side affects for this drug ... chemo brain maybe this morning but I do not remember anything being said about that.  Once all the drugs are infused, there is another 10-15 flush of my port and I'm finished.

At that time, the long (not really long) walk begins to the car.  Alverna always gets the car and pulls right up to the door so I don't have as far to walk.  These meds take immediate hold on my energy level and my face becomes flushed.  We went by to pick up Tootie and while Dr. C was talking to me, we had to sit.  So unusual for me but it happened.  I have the best vet ever... family owned and operated.  They are all so sweet and they love our babies.

Alicia and Madelyn were running out for dinner when we got home so I fixed me a bowl of homemade soup, ate and showered.  Since my hair is falling out at such a fast rate, I washed it with shampoo twice, pulling on all that I could get my fingers on because it's kinda short.  I slept on a towel which is a little rougher than my pillow case in hopes of it getting the rest of it out.  It's pretty sparse this morning.

After the shower, I went to bed at 8:00pm, turned off my cell phone and slept until about 10:30pm at which time, I struggled with hot and cold flashes for the remainder of the night.  I woke at 4:00am and got up began eating and having coffee.  The feeding frenzy has begun I can tell.  Every hour and a half is the schedule for my eating.  I didn't get my Arby's yet but that will be my plan for the day.

At this point, I'm 1/3 of the way through my treatments.  Two down and only four to go.  Praise the Lord.

Praises:
* I feel pretty weak this morning, but I know it could be worse so I'm happy.
* I have not experienced any nausea.  Praise the Lord.
* I know the meds I'm taking is killing anything that might have gotten loose in my body.
* My sister is feeling so much better from her tonsilitis and strep throat. This is a good thing because she will have to glove and mask up this evening to give me my Neulasta shot.
* My ice water is tasting very good this morning.  Coffee too.
* I got to visit one more time with the survivor sister who finished up her chemo two weeks ago.  We talked extensively and if you remember I told you she looked young.  She's 32 years old.  Cancer is not selective as to your age, gender or anything else.  She handled all this with such grace.  I wish her all the best.
* You - the people who have supported me during this journey.  You are awesome and your prayers, cards and emails mean so much to me.  

Prayer Request:
* My energy level.  I want to try to handle this round of chemo differently if possible.  Plan to get some walking in today outside (with head cover).  The walking is highly suggested by medical personnel.
* Shakiness subsides.
* Those who may beginning this journey.

This morning I am happy that I am where I am.  I'm blessed beyond measure and I love living every day to the fullest.  Christmas is coming and we all can't wait.  My grandbabies make Christmas all the more fun.  
Talk to our Father today.  

I claim this scripture today.

Mark 5:34  

34 He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”

gkmorrison12@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment