Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Good Report

Yesterday was my white blood cell (WBC) count check and Praise the Lord, it wasn't too bad.  While the numbers are below the healthy line, the WBC was NOT bottomed out.  The other numbers that they check (my sister had to explain the acronyms to me) were good as well.  All within a healthy range for a female.  The clotting factor count (????) was low but not dangerously low so I cannot play with my tomahawk or hatchet for a while because it probably wouldn't be good if I cut myself.  <smile>

Alverna and I ask Helena, Oncologist nurse practitioner, if we could celebrate my counts and have lunch out and she said yes.  Probably wasn't the smartest decision to go out to eat amongst the public but we did.  We stopped at Teresa's Dixie House on Belknap and had a lunch portion of chicken fried steak.  As we approached the door, I could smell grease and it almost caused me to say 'never mind' but I didn't.  I was so hungry by the time we got to talk to Helena at the doctor office, I was seeing a few stars.  NOTE TO SELF:  Never leave home without food.  The chemo drugs can cause my blood sugar to drop and I think that could be what is happening and why I am having to eat every 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Helena was very happy with my report about no nausea or headaches (migraine or otherwise).  She told me that what I had experienced with my first treatment I could pretty much expect for the remainder.  If extreme fatigue is all I get, I'll take it.  She suggested that I begin routinely walking and that would help me build up my stamina.  Dag-gone just wish it wasn't so cold out so I could walk up and down my street.  At my office, I can walk around our entire floor twelve times and that is a mile.  I'm just not at the office yet.  My sister has a stationary recumbent bike that she hangs her clothes on <smile> so I can go over to her house and ride that during the day for exercise until it warms up enough to walk up and down the street.

As we were finishing up our chat, Helena looked at me and said, "By next weekend all of your hair will be gone".  I told her that I was going to have it buzzed off this week.  I was supposed to have it done this past Saturday but just didn't feel like getting out so I cancelled.  But it's on the "To Do" list.

God continues to allow my journey's path to be crossed by amazing women who are so kind to share their journey or a portion there of.  While waiting for my turn to have blood drawn, a young woman was also waiting and we began to chat.  She was celebrating yesterday also because she was having her last chemo treatment ... her sixth and final.  I told her that I had my first one last week and told her I was blessed no nausea or headaches but the fatigue was pretty severe.  Ppppfffff nothing compared to this young lady.  She had had nausea with two of her treatments and thrush mouth with two of her treatments.  So what's a little fatigue.

Cancer patients celebrate.  We celebrate the smallest things and we rejoice with each other.  It doesn't matter how small or how big, we celebrate.    God has provided me with celebrations and I am so thankful.  Below is a snippet of one of my daily devotionals ...
As you go through this day, look for tiny treasures strategically placed along the way.  I lovingly go before you and plant little pleasures to brighten your day.  Look carefully for them, and pluck them one by one.  When you reach the end of the day, you will  have gathered a lovely bouquet.  Offer it up to Me with a grateful heart.  Receive My Peace as you lie down to sleep, with thankful thoughts playing a lullaby in your mind.  

Prayer Request:
* Rest and Sleep
* My body continues on the uphill climb to full WBC.
* Nose bleeds stop.
* All of us who are walking this journey.

Praise:
* My family.  I have the most awesome family.  I love you all ...
* My friends.  God plants precious seeds in our lives and they grow in to FRIENDS.
* Good report on blood work.

I gotta run for now.  I need to find the Collin Street Bakery website and try to order me a fruit cake.  I love fruit cake and their's is the BEST.  Anyone else out there like fruit cake?  Let me hear from you.

Blessings!

gkmorrison12@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment