Monday, December 26, 2011

A Little Update ...

It's Monday morning after Christmas Day and all is quiet in the house.  Just Tootie and I are up early.  I love early mornings when the world is still quiet and the hub bub of the day hasn't started.  This time of morning and a good cup of coffee gives me time to reflect on many things.  This morning brings many thankful blessings in my life.

Our Christmas traditions changed this year and guess what???? ... it all worked out so perfectly.  I am on Facebook and for several days had read many posts from people that seemed sad because their family traditions had changed and letting go of those traditions were very difficult.  My heart somewhat ached for these people as they were allowing past traditions to steal their ability to be happy and make new traditions.  I know some of them had lost loved ones this past year and I certainly understand how difficult that can be in and around the holidays.  It is not that we forget our loved ones who are no longer with us because we don't ... but I guarantee if any of us could talk to that loved one(s) and tell them how much we missed them, they would say ... "Go ... have a good time ... I'm doing just fine".

This year with two one year old grandbabies our own family traditions changed and you know what, I believe the way our family events worked out was the very best Christmas effort ever.  We ended up having much more time to be together by using a different schedule.  Just because we couldn't all be together on those old tradition time frames ... the important part was we were all together so we could relax and chill out and enjoy opening presents and eating.   Grandbabies need to be home on Christmas morning to play with their Santa toys and have fun ... rushing off to grandma's house seems so unfair.  My girls Dad and I have always been flexible about scheduling any holiday events even before grandbabies and for that I'm so thankful.  Hopefully your Christmas scheduling was not hectic and no one got overwhelmed and all flowed smoothly.  Our's sure did.

Those of us who have children and/or grandchildren know that sometimes the simplest gift for a child can be a box.  No one understands this or knows why but boxes are just good play things.  My nephews, Justin and Travis, gave my grandbabies each a big box.  Inside each box was this little small stuffed University of Texas bull with a tag that said "Saw 'em off" ... my nephews are both Aggies.  But  it wasn't the little stuffed bulls that Madelyn and Braxton cared about ... it was the big box they were in.  My grandbabies had a great time in the boxes and played forever.  Below are a few pictures....




So next year if you have a little one to buy for and just uncertain what to get ... go to Home Depot, buy a heavy duty box and wrap it up and watch the fun begin as the little one plays in the box.

This morning finds me with a grateful and blessed heart.  I hope your Christmas was as blessed as ours has been and that you look toward the new year with hope, love and faith. God has blessed all of us and for that I am so thankful.

Blessings for your Monday.  
gkmorrison12@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment