Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Weekly Review --

What a great week it's been.  I worked all week except for my two appointments. Blood count check on Monday and dentist on Thursday.  It was good to be back at work in my office and being able to interact with my coworkers.  I really love what I do for the NWS and when you like what you do, it makes work a better place.  

I had great energy this week and my appetite has been good.  The no-taste and bitterness are still with me but I play like I can taste whatever it is I'm eating.  I try not to complain as I feel that this is a temporary situation and just with me until I finish my chemo.  Alicia, Madelyn and I went to Olive Garden last night for dinner and I had soup and salad and two Sprites (you know my new favorite drink after the Dr. Pepper phase).  I love the Chicken and Gnocchi soup (that's pronounced No-key).  I ate a whole bowl of  salad by myself.  With a little salt on it, I could taste it and it was so good and that soup is divine.  

I have something that has been on mind all week long.  Negativity.  The world we live in can be a very ngative place.  Negativity breeds negativity.  When someone is negative and shares their negative  thoughts with others, it can spread .... just like a cancer.  Negative people who share their negative thoughts with others wants to "rally their troops" or "get others on board with them".  After all it's no fun to be in the negativity boat alone but so much better if you have a whole boat full of people on board with you.

Before I was diagnosed with cancer, I joined those negative troops or I got on that boat of those negative people.  Since my diagnosis, I have not and will not sign up to be one of the negative troopers nor will I get on the boat of negativity.  For years my sister has told me that "people are human and humans will always disappoint us.  Do not put your faith in humans, put your faith in God".  I didn't listen for years until now as I walk  my journey.  I have learned what is really important in this world, I have stop putting my faith in humans because no matter what, I cannot change someone.  Instead my faith is in God.  I was thinking yesterday while walking at work that I will replace the word negativity with the word nativity.  I don't know what you think about when you hear or see the word nativity but I see a baby named Jesus laying in a manger surrounded by his parents, Mary and Joseph.  A light shines about His beautiful head and He brings light into the world of dark (negative).
Yes, this is just a graphic and no, we do not know this is what the birth scene looked like but my FAITH tells me to believe that baby was sent here for me.

I had someone share a negative thought about some of my posts on my blog.  I had to remind myself once again that people are human.  The same day I had two beautiful ladies who are dear friends in my building (J and D) share how  they love everything I write about, they see the humor in my writing and encouraged me to be a writer.  I could have let that one negative comment take me down the negativity road but I chose to cling to the positive remarks from my friends.

My thoughts of yesterday have guided my words today and I will not buy into the negativity any longer but I will cling to the nativity.  Join me and let's make the world a better place with less negativity.  Remember we cannot change humans and the way they are but we change ourselves and share only the positive and be better people.  We have our Lord in Heaven who sees and hears everything ... He is in control and has everything under control.

This week I began thinking about what I looked like before cancer and chemo and what I look like today.  My looks have changed but my heart is still the same.  Come with me now as I walk through my hair changes ....

Before surgery and chemo.  

Once chemo began and after a couple of weeks, my hair began shedding ... not falling out but shedding so my sweet sister-in-law came out and scissored my hair in to a spike.

Spikey, brown and very easy.

After about a week of the spikey cut, I decided I needed to get accustomed to wearing my wigs.  Friday before last, I put on my wig and went to lunch with a friend ... out in public for the first time.  I didn't feel as self conscious as I thought I would.  

Short and auburnish.  I really like it but am always ready to take it off when I get home.

This past week about Wednesday my head got sore and itched.  Those who have walked this journey before me have shared that when your hair begins to fall out, your head will feel different so I was not sure if it was wearing the wig for three days in a row to the office or the chemo taking affect on my hair follicles but I decided to have my girls - if they could do it (it's tough watching your Mom lose her hair) - buzz  my hair off with clippers.  Alicia, Madelyn and I headed to Bonnie and Buddy's house and out the clippers came.  Alicia buzzed it off ... first using a #3 guard and then a #1 guard to get a little closer.  Immediately my head felt so much better.  Soooooo...... 

...... here's my buzzed head ....
The remainder of the little stubs will fall out but for now
this is my hair.  

Thursday when I got ready for work, I wore my wig over my new stubby cut.   My hair is the last thing I put on when getting dressed. And let me share and I know all my lady friends will be jealous (right!) - it takes me about 25 minutes to get completely dressed.  That includes washing and moisturizing my face (very important ladies for everyone even if you are not taking chemo), brushing my teeth, putting on my makeup and getting dressed ... and then putting on my HAIR.  <laughing>  Easy peasy !!!!

Friday morning I woke with a migraine headache and decided I just did not want to wear the wig.  When I have migraines my head feels like it's in a vise and putting that wig on just wasn't doing it for me.  So I got in my hair drawer and pulled out a turban and a little flower embellishment, put that on my head and away I went to work.  

These type head coverings are not half bad. 
Very comfortable especially at work when I talk
on the phone.  

This is my show and tell for this post.  Hair is hair and it will grow back once the chemo is over and I know that.  Once I mourned losing my hair and actually started through the process, it all became easier.  It's not near as bad as I thought it was going to be.  

On another note ... my grandson, Braxton (one year old) is walking.  It is the absolute cutest thing ever.  Bonnie said he just let go and took off one night this past week.  When I can I will get a picture of him toddling along.  Madelyn took three steps in a row last night.  These babies have my heart ... can you tell?  

Praises:
* Good energy, good appetite
* Spending time in the office this past week
* People I work with who help me so much in many different areas
* Family and so many friends
* The life I'm living

Prayer Request:
* My sweet sister, Pat, is very sick with tonsillitis and strep throat
* Headaches that I have been experiencing this past week
* My next round of chemo on Monday
* All those walking this journey just like I am.  

In closing, remember the reason we celebrate Christmas.  We all celebrate with gift giving but remember the greatest gift of all was given by God.  He sent his Son, Jesus, to die on that cross for all of us.  My prayer is that you have accepted that ultimate gift.  

Isaiah 9:6  

6 For to us a child is born,
   to us a son is given,
   and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
   Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
   Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.



Blessed and sending you blessings!



gkmorrison12@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment