Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A little more info ...

I scanned some information to put here on my blog.  The info is an explanation about ductal carcinoma and gives you a little look inside the milk duct.  The top pictures (round circle) on the right of the sheet of paper are what a healthy non-cancerous milk duct would look like sliced open (magnified by many thousands).  The milk duct allows the milk to move through the duct like a straw.  The picture in the middle is an example of a milk duct being invaded by cancer cells.  Cancer is this diagram is called in situ or pre-cancers and are maintained in the duct and hasn't broken through the duct.  Once the cancer has grown beyond the duct and breaks the milk duct wall (bottom right picture) then it becomes invasive and can allow the cancer to spread.  Invasive ductal carcinoma is what I have been diagnosed with.  However, at this point the doctors believe it is still pretty much contained around the lesions/lumps. 


There are three grades to cancer.  Grade 1 - Low Grade or Well Differentiaed.  Grade 1 cancer cellls still look a lot like normal cells.  They are usually slow-growing.  Grade 2 - Intermediate/Moderate Grade or Moderately Differentiated.  Grade 2 cancer cells do not look like normal cells.  They are growing somewhat faster than normal cells.  Grade 3 - High Grade or Poorly Differentiated.  Grade 3 cancer cells do not look at all like normal cells. They are fast growing.  My cancer is grade 2. 

The PET scan went off without a hitch.  Once I was finished with that, I got in my car feeling much better because they had injected me with radiative sugar water which immediately raised my sugar level.  I got to the nearest Starbucks for my Skinny Vanilla Latte extra hot and found me a McDonald's and got a sausage biscuit and headed back to work.  The Starbucks was the best I've ever had.  <smile>  What started out as a very sick feeling kinda day with a migraine to boot, ended up with me feeling very good. 
As far as I know I do not have any other appointments until next Tuesday when I have to be at Baylor-All Saints at 5:00am to prep for surgery at 9:15am.
My prayer requests tonight are for my family, my doctors, and that nothing gets in the way of my surgery.  Walking around with cancer in your body is something I never want anyone to have to experience. 

My God continues to walk beside me.  He loves me and has already shown me so much through my journey so far.  I want Him to use me in this experience to aid those who may have to walk this path as well as to help everyone understand more about breast cancer. 

Numbers 6:24-26  "The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn His face toward you and give you peace."

Blessed and sending blessings.
Gena

No comments:

Post a Comment