Friday, October 28, 2011

Sometimes there are glitches ....

As much as we all want things to go without any glitches, sometimes there are just glitches.  As I've posted, I still have three drains.  There were a total of four with two on each side.  One was put in my lymph node areas and the other was put across my chest cavity on each side.  On Wednesday they took one of the drains out on my right side which was good so now there are three.  I watch these drains and they should be emptied twice a day, measured and reset.  (If you've ever had surgery and had drains you know what I'm talking about).  Early evening yesterday, drain #4 on my left side which produces the most fluid, clogged up.  My sister who is also my personal incredible nurse got home worked and worked to get the clot out which is right where the drain comes out of my body ... nothing was getting through.  We called the nurse navigator at Joan Katz Breast Center in Baylor-All Saints and she told Pat to keep working the clot and if it wouldn't open up to put a 4X4 gauze and tape it over the drains for the night.  Generally the drains are sealed off with little surgical disk and cellaphane looking tape is placed over the whole area so that I'm able to shower with no problems.  Pat tried again and worked and worked and nothing.  So she dressed that side with the 4X4 and this morning, there is nothing in the drain which means it's really clogged up.  The one good thing is that the fluid is not yet coming out around where the drain is put in but once I get up and get moving, I'm sure it will.  So today I will need to contact Dr. C's office to get there before noon and get something done to fix this.  Dr. C was not ready for this drain to come out on Wednesday when I was there so I'm not sure what will happen.  However, God does. 

Please pray that this is a minor glitch and the medical team can get it opened up.  My left arm with the clogged drain is where the 16 lymph nodes were removed which produces more fluid due to no way to rid my body of the extra fluid.  Eventually my body will begin to absorb the fluid once I start to heal really good in there.

I'm thankful to continue feeling better every day.  Sleep was not a good friend of mine last night, not sure what was up with that but one thing for sure, I have all day to nap after my field trip to the doctor office. 

Thank you all for your prayers and support.  Today I ask that if you are given an opportunity to contribute to the breast cancer cause, please do.  It's those contributions that help women like me have wonderful support people like the nurse navigators at the Joan Katz Breast Center.  These are wonderful women who seem to work all the time.  They are literally available at all hours and so kind and helpful.  I'm praying God prepares my journey to lead me to be able to touch lives as mine as been touched with these women. 

Looking forward to a wonderful day, I mean after all I get a field trip out of it.  <smile>
I am claiming today ....

Isa 41:10  "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

Blessings!
Gena

No comments:

Post a Comment