Monday, October 17, 2011

The Morning Before ...

Another early waking morning.  It seems 3:00 - 3:30 am is the time of morning that my body wants to wake.  I have always been an early riser but never this early.  It's ok, early mornings are so peaceful. 

Questions I've been ask recently are: 
Are you getting nervous?  No.  I'm looking forward to the surgery and getting the cancer out of my body. 

Are you scared?  No.  There isn't anything to be scared of.  My awesome Father, the greatest physican that ever was or will be, will be in that operating room with me tomorrow.  With Him there, why would I be scared. 

How long will you be off work?  My surgeon told me six weeks with a double mastectomy.  I plan to take as much time as I need to fully recuperate so as not to have any lasting repurcussions from the surgery. 

Do you have enough leave to take this much time off?  Yes.  I've been blessed with an incredible job that offers good benefits. 

Will you have to have chemo?  This is undetermined at this time.  My oncologist, Dr. Robyn Young will make that determination once all the breast tissue and the lesions have been tested. 

How long will you be in the hospital?  My surgeon, Dr. Anita Chow has said two nights.  They want to ensure there is no infection and also to ensure they regulate the pain medication. 

Do you have someone to stay with you once you get home?  I'm blessed to have my family.  My sister lives across the street from, she's a nurse for 40 years now, and she is taking her four saved days of leave to be here with me.  With her and my girls, I'm in great hands. 

This morning I'm enjoying my coffee (I won't get any tomorrow <smile>).  I'm spending time in the word of God.  I have an incredible daily devotional book, Jesus Calling - Enjoying Peace in His Presence that reaches my heart.  If you do not have a daily devotional, go to Lifeway Christian Bookstore and pick one up.  I'm praising God that He has gotten me to this point.  When I was called and told the day that my surgery had been scheduled, it seemed forever away.  During that 'wait' time, I have been able to attend two classes that pertains to breast cancer, go to many needed appointments, have a PET scan, just so many things that needed to be done.  During that 'wait' time, I've also been able to share my story, start this blog and I hope reach out to many women to help educate them. 

Last night I watched a recorded show called "Five".  Did anyone watch this show?  It was every woman's story who has walked the breast cancer journey.  As I sat and watched it, I thought ... my goodness they are telling my story.  This show was on Lifetime so check your show listings and watch.  You will be glad you did.

In closing today, I want to share the first verse of a song that plays in my head constantly.  You will probably know this song, so take a moment and sing the words as you read them. 

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

As I close this morning, I ask that you continue to pray.  Please add my oldest nephew, Justin to your prayer list.  He will be defending his doctorate thesis tomorrow at 9:00am at USC.  We both have big events coming up tomorrow and we both know that God is walking with us.  Thank you for your prayers. 

Today ... please know that ... It is well --- It is well with my soul.
Blessings for this Magnificent Monday - go and make it a great day.
Gena

No comments:

Post a Comment