Thursday, October 13, 2011

Nutrition Information

First, let me say that I am sharing this information given to me by a nutritionist at the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders and in no way am I saying that you must/should follow this.  I'm sharing this for information purposes because I believe knowledge is power.  Power over our body and what you choose to put it in.

While I have followed these guidelines for years after being diagnosed with migraines however, I did learn some things many interesting things from this class.  Migraines can be caused by what you eat so I have followed several of these guidelines.  This information if from the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR).

30% of all cancers are diet related

Weight, activity, vegetable and fruits, increase complex carbohydrates, limit alcohol

Being overweight increases your chances for cancer
Exercise is important.  At least 30 minutes of walking a day can make a difference
Fruits and vegetables provide antioxidants that protect our cells against free radicals.  Free radicals are cancer promoters.
Vitamin A - sweet potatoes, kale, carrots, orange and dark green vegetables
Vitamin C - brussel sprouts, collards, cabbage, broccoli
Lycopene - tomatoes, watermelon, pink grapefruit.  Cooked tomatoes offers more lycopene
Carbs and grains provide energy
Limit white bread and pasta
Choose 100% wheat bread, pasta, toritllas, brown rice, whole grain cereals, oatmeal, quinoa, and rye
Protein provides engery and essential amino acids
Limit or avoid read meat.  No more than 11-18 oz of beef per week
ELIMINATE processed meat - bacon, sausage, hot dogs.  Processed meats contain sodium nitrate ... you should eliminate sodium nitrate from your diet.
Fish - have at least twice a week.  Canned salmon and tuna are good sources of Omega 3
Eat more plant proteins - Beans, nuts and seeds
AICR recommends a total vegetarian meal twice a week
Avoid trans fats and saturated fats (also called partially hydrogenated oils)
Use olive oil and canola oil
No more than 2 grams of trans fat per day.  Limit processed food due to trans fat.
Chose more often - olive oil, canola oil, olives, avocadoes and nuts
LADIES - limit alcohol intake.  More than 1 drink can increase your chances of breast cancer or a recurrence.  Serving for women is 12 oz beer; 5 oz wine; 1.5 oz liquor
We need Vitamin D and Calcium which plays a role in cancer prevention and recurrence
Soy is estrogen positive.  If you're not using soy - DON'T

Again, please know that I am just sharing what I learned.  Basically be aware of everything you put in your body for nourishment. 

1 Corinthians 6:19-20  19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

I appreciate all your prayers and ask that you continue to pray.  Prayer is a powerful thing.  Please add a dear friend of mines brother.  He has been given some disturbing health news.  I don't know his name but God does.  Thank you for walking with me on my journey through breast cancer.  I know our God is an awesome God.  I pray for each and every person reading this blog and I pray that you remain healthy. 

It is well with my soul....

1 comment:

  1. http://www.nbcdfw.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/What-Puts-You-at-Risk-for-Breast-Cancer-/131656633

    This is a news clip with my oncologist. It goes along nicely with your post.

    ReplyDelete