Friday, October 7, 2011

Where I Am Today ...

Today I am in a better place than I was on September 15.  I have much more information as to the degree of cancer I have, what it's called and pretty much where I am going as far as treatment. 

First, let me say that I have invasive ductal carcinoma.  Ductal carcinoma is a very common type of cancer that women get in their milk ducts.  Invasive means that some of the lesions are no longer contained in my milk ducts but rather broken through the outside and have a tendency to want to spread.  The large lesion in my left breast doesn't want to play as nicely as the lesions in my right breast. 

On Tuesday, October 12 I will have a PET scan to see if there is cancer anywhere else in my body.  I pray that there isn't and that all my cancer is contained in my breasts which appears at this point could very well be the case. 

I will undergo a bilateral mastectomy on October 18.  Bilateral means two ... I will have both of my breasts removed.  I am not a candidate for reconstructive surgery nor did I want it.  My surgeon explained to me by not having reconstructive surgery she would be able to get more breast tissue out without having to save the skin.  I'm perfectly ok with this.  My decisions may not be good for everyone but they are good for me.  At this point, my surgeon and oncologist do not think that my lymph nodes have been invaded but they will be biopsied during my surgery. 

I will meet with my oncologist after the surgery on October 31.  By that time all the other biopsies results should be back and she will know more about the course of further treatment.  We will review at that time what is next. 

I don't know where my journey is taking me but I do know I want to educate as many women on breast cancer as possible so that we can stop this dreadful disease. 

Praising my Lord ...

Ps 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment