Sunday, April 15, 2012

Finishing the Race ... The Race for the Cure

The Race for the Cure walk was yesterday morning.  As fate/luck/whatever would have it ... my grandson, Braxton, got sick with strep so his Daddy and him could not come to the race.  My granddaughter, Madelyn, had a sinus infection that was backing up in her eyes and with the wind blowing about 30 mph hour at times, Alicia decided it best if they stayed in.  I know they would have had a great time and we missed them.  I picked Bonnie up and we headed out to the race, thinking that we would get there early enough to get a clos(er) parking spot but that was not the case.  I would say we had to walk half a mile to get to the festivities which meant after we walked the 3.1 miles, we would walk another half mile back to the car.  Yeppers, we got our exercise in yesterday and YES, she has only six weeks until her baby is due.  Trooper ... Mom's trooper.  Below are pictures that I couldn't wait to share with you.

Above:  Bonnie and I (looking up for a reason).

Above:  Middle - Yvonne aka Fred from The Center.
She's my other 'sista'.
Fred's daughter was there to support us too.

Above:  Left - Helena, Oncologist Nurse Practitioner who takes
such good care of me and explains everything and answers all
my questions.  Right - Pam, nurse navigator, at The Center who
is just an awesome sweet lady that I met with before meeting
with anyone else.

Above:  Supporters everywhere.




Above:  The Center's booth, providing water.

Above:  Deborah Johnson Couch and I.  We've been friends since
.... forever.  

Above:  L-R Bonnie, Stephanie (my other daughter that I didn't
birth, her hubby, Scott, me, Deborah, Sydney (Deb's daughter),
L.J. (Deb's daughter in law) and down front, Peyton, (my other
grand daughter).

Above:  Deborah, L.J., Syd celebrated Mrs. Johnson who
passed last year and me.  Thank you girls. 


Above:  There were so many supporters.

Above:  Having fun waiting for the race to begin.

Above:  So cute ... 

Above:  Me, Carol Womack, Deborah, L.J. and Syd.

Above:  had to have a picture with the ladies with the pink hair
and the middle lady has on pink eyelashes.

Above:  The massive people ahead of us and No, we were not
last.  


Above:  A band playing on the corner right after we started.

Above:  See all the people ahead of us?  There were that many
 behind us.   

Above:  Syd noticed this guy in front of us.  We determined
he was a 'true coffee addict'.  


Above:  The lady in the pink shirt beside this man was
mostly likely his wife.  The pink shirt designates a survivor.


Above:  The last hill was a 'killer'.
I am a "SURVIVOR".

Above:  This sign says it all.....
Praise the Lord that I am finished
with chemo.  

Above:  We finished ....
Praise the Lord!
The second round of radiation went well on Friday at 6:00am.  For this treatment, Billy, used a 'bolus' which is a silicon filled pad to put over my radiation area.  Dr. C, my Radiation Oncologist, wants to use the bolus every other day to ensure that the radiation gets the topical area of the affected area.  Every other day, the radiation will be directly on my skin which will go a little deeper.
Above:  This is what the radiation machine
looks like.  The large arm that is over head
rotates to both sides of the table.  That is
the radiation giver.  (NOTE: that is not me
on that table.
I continue to Praise my Lord for all He has done for me.  He has brought me from that scared little lady on September 15, 2011, to having hope and knowing that He is beside me all the way.  He continues to carry me on the days that I cannot carry myself.  I give Him all the Praise.

Praises:
*  My grand babies are feeling better.
*  My family and friends who continue to support me during this journey.
*  My bald head.  Yes, this is a blessing.  My baldness has opened many doors that has allowed me to share my awesome Lord.
*  Answered prayers.
*  So so so much more.

Prayer Request:
*  My radiation continues to go well.
*  My daughter, Bonnie's, pregnancy continues to go well.
*  Both my grand babies continue to get better.
*  Unspoken prayer request.  God knows.
*  My survivor sisters as they continue to go through their treatments.

God has blessed me so much and I continue to give Him all the praise.

Blessed and praying blessings for you who read this blog.
gkmorrison12@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you daily Gena. Thanks for posting this blog and the pictures! I'm just sorry I missed this one, boo. xxoo Keep on keepin on as my mom would say! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb. We had a great time and I'm so thankful I was able to finish. Six months of limited activity can really make a difference but God is good all the time and He helped carry me up that last hill... for real! We will get 'em next time, girl. I'm gonna keep on keepin' on ... Love and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gena, Congradulations on finishing the race and your chemo. You continue to inspire me with your testamony. You are very attractive even with your bald head. You are a survivor in so many ways. Keep on keeping on. Terri Fisher

    ReplyDelete