Friday, April 27, 2012

Bald and Bold ... sort of!



Bald women are brave,
Brave bald women have courage,
Courageous brave bald women ...
Are given their strength by God.
Amen.

*************
A funny story ... I went outside Wednesday afternoon to water the garden.  I believe that every gnat that was within miles decided to visit my backyard that afternoon just so they could buzz by my ears and sting them.  I shooshed more gnats away that day than ever and by the time I got in the house, my ears were blazing red and hot from all the stinging and shooshing.  <smile>

*************

I never in a million years thought I would ever be bald.  Bald happened to other women ... you know the one's that got breast cancer and had to take chemo.  My heart was always with those women.  Then one day ... I was bald.  Being bald for the most part (once I got accustomed to it) hasn't bothered me.  It has actually been a blessing in so many ways.  Those mornings I got up after a round of chemo and didn't feel like doing anything ... I didn't have to worry about my hair.  If I get cold, I put on a cap ... if I get hot, I take it off.  Being a bald woman has emotional ties to it no matter how you look at it, however, it is part of the chemo process and my hair will grow back.

Let me tell you how a bald woman feels and we do have feelings, feelings that run really deep.  I pray you never discount that fact when you see a bald woman.  Some women never get accustomed to being bald.  I had a survivor sister who told me that she could NOT look at herself in the mirror when she was bald.  She could not stand the fact that she had no hair.  I, personally, worked through the heart ache of losing my hair before I lost my hair.  I found a comfortable place  with my baldness and I feel I have a good attitude about it, however, that does not take the sting away when a person says catty remarks about my bald head.  

I walked in to a funeral this week and an acquaintance of mine threw up their arms and said, "Oh Gena, the glare is blinding me."  Very inappropriate, very hurtful and not funny at all.  I was taken aback actually and it really did hurt.  Let me make a suggestion to those who are reading this who have hair, if you do not know what to say to someone like me who is bald due to chemo, just do not say anything at all.  Talk to the person just like you would if they had hair.  My heart, my mind, my soul hasn't changed one bit only my appearance and that is temporary.

Dear Survivor Sisters ...  If you haven't lost your hair, most likely you will ... if you have lost your hair and are currently bald ... Remember, God gave us a special light that shines from our sweet bald heads that matches the halo our Angel has so she is able to find us easily.  God loves us just the way we are ... He doesn't care that we do not have hair and He would never want us hurt because of someone saying something inappropriate.  We have courage that not everyone has and He gave it to us.  Praise Him.

***********
I am currently going through another side effect of the chemo ... remember chemo does not immediately leave your body like so many think.  Remember in earlier posts how I mentioned that so many people thought just because I was finished 'taking' chemo, that I would go back to being the get up and go person I was before ... yes, I am much better now that chemo is finished but the side affects still happen.  For a couple of weeks now, I have been experiencing some pretty severe pain in my hips ... bones and muscle.  At first I thought I had just used some muscles in the Race for the Cure that I had not used in a while and the pain would stop.  It hasn't.  When I sit for short or long periods of time and get up, my hips hurt so bad it almost doubles me over.  To walk hurts, to lay in bed on my sides hurts.  I looked up the side affects once again of the Taxotere chemo drug and this is a side effect that can happen 1 to 3 months after finishing chemo.  I tell you that Taxotere is a trouble maker.  <smile>  I decided today I might should call The Center to ensure that this was really what was going on and it is. It's perfectly normal ... for a chemo patient.  I ask my dear sweet Helena, nurse practitioner, if I could take Advil and she said yes because I was no longer taking chemo.  Tonight before bed, I will take two Advil and see if that helps the terrible pain in my hips that wakes me every night.  Praise the Lord that this is normal and that it will end.

************
I hope your week went well and that you have a wonderful weekend.  I was planning to go fishing tomorrow at Lake Bridgeport but decided I better wait until I am finished with the antibiotics and get the stuffiness completely eliminated ... plus with my hips hurting so bad, I just didn't want to try it right now.

I am blessed tonight.  God has been so good to me ... it's amazing how He opens your eyes when you allow Him to do so.  Praising Him tremendously ...

Blessings sweet family and friends.


gkmorrison12@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment