Friday, April 13, 2012

Radiation Round 1 ... Only 32 To Go ...

Radiation started yesterday morning ... four chest x-rays and then the radiation.  Because the machine does both, I didn't know when the x-rays stopped and the radiation began.  But first, I was put on the table and my left chest was exposed.  There were measurements taken, lines drawn, my body adjusted by  the sheet I was laying on, there was music playing and everyone was so nice.  Was I scared ... not scared but apprehensive.  When we do not know what to expect, we can get that way.

To begin ... The music was an Alan Jackson DVD of old gospel hymns.  When I got in the room, the Old Rugged Cross was playing ... I don't remember what was the next song as there was talking and adjusting going on.  I immediately thanked God for the music which seemed to soothe my soul and I knew His presence, as always, was in that room.

Once I was all adjusted, marked and given my instructions to lay still, the techs left the room and shut the door.  Emotion overtook me as I lay there praying, listening to the gospel hymns I love so very much ... and tears began to slip out of my eyes.  I wanted to sob but my instructions were to lay very still so I couldn't sob.  Why ... you may be asking as to the emotion ... I cannot answer that.  I remember a thought that ran through my mind ... how did this happen?  There is not an answer to that question and I didn't park on the question ... instead I praised my Lord as to how far I have come and kept in mind ... only 32 more radiation treatments to go.

While this huge machine was over my body doing I didn't know what ... Alan Jackson started singing ... In the Garden ... the tears really flowed then as I thought about how much my Mother loved that song.  I laid there thinking about her and the radiation treatments she took on her brain and lungs and wondered how she felt many years ago.

When the treatment was complete, the door opens and my two techs taking care of me, Vanessa and Billy, popped back in ... one on each side of the table and offered me their hands and helped me up.  I had to ask when the radiation treatment actually took place and Billy explained that to me so at least I knew when the machine was in the side positions, that was the radiation.  I thanked them all and went to moisturize my chest, get dressed and back to work I went.  The remaining treatments will be at 6:00am and then I will head to work.  I'm praising the Lord ... there are only 32 treatments remaining.

My friend at work, Mike, made me a hummingbird cake (similar to Italian cream cake) and brought it in yesterday as a celebration of my completion of chemo.  Mike had told me about the cake when I was in the office one day (before my hospitalization in January) and it sounded good.  He said he would make me one when I wanted.   I wanted to be able to taste it so we decided when I was finished  with my chemo.  It was so yummy and such a sweet celebration with my co-workers/friends.

The week has gone well at work.  Monday and Tuesday I was really tired when I got home but as the week wore on, I began to fall back in to the morning routine and the days work in the office.  Yes, I'm blessed.

Today I am off and of course have lots to do.  6:00am radiation - 7:00am get Tootie to the groomer - at some point get the oil changed in my Highlander - clean house - laundry (never ending) - make Strolling for Grammy posters for my grand babies strollers for the Race for the Cure walk tomorrow - take a blouse back to Kohl's - go to Kelly Moore and get samples of paint for the exterior of my house and many other things.  I am happy to have the energy and be able to be out and about.

The garden is growing so well.  I need to get updated pictures.  I also need to get MORE potting soil and get some more flower seeds planted in pots for the arbor trellis I put by the patio.  My sister has hired our friend, Justin, to mow and keep our yards for right now.  It was such a blessing to come home on Wednesday and my yard be done ... front and back.  I have also gotten the bid for the gutters and a bid from a painter to paint my house.  I am going to do both ... just not sure of the sequence I should be doing this.  I will figure it out.

I must get going now.  It's 5:00am and I still need to get dressed and be ready to leave for radiation at 5:30am.  I am happy my internet is working and I can update my blog when I want.  Do you remember the business cards I had printed ... the ones with the word HOPE on the front?  I realized yesterday I had put the wrong url for my blog site ... I used www instead of http: ... I just pray that the people I gave the cards to were able to find the blog.  I am having these reprinted today.

Praising the Lord for answer to the unspoken prayer request yesterday.  God is so good.  Thank you Lord.

Blessed and praying blessings for you as you continue to read my story.

genam44@charter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment