Monday, March 12, 2012

IT'S SHOWTIME - My Final Round of Chemo ...

NOTE:  IT'S SHOWTIME comes from my brother, Marvin.  Every time that he has had a medical procedure and the nurses came to take him in, he would say It's Showtime.  When they were ready to wheel me in for my mastectomy, he bent down and said ...  It's Showtime, gave me a hug and kiss and walked off with tears in his eyes.  I give my little brother all the credit for the title.  I am posting this blog post starting at 2:31am while eating chicken salad (a little oniony for 2:30am) on toast and cheesy chicken enchilada dip.  We had broccoli cheese soup that my sister made for dinner.  It was delish but after laying awake for an hour, I got hungry.   I have been awake (thank you steroids) for over an hour.  Tossing, turning, thinking, praying, tossing turning, thinking praying ... tears flowing down my face as I reflect on the last few months.  So please read on as .....
IT'S SHOWTIME!

Cast -
My sweet Jesus -  the most important 
My family -
Alverna - my friend, my taxi, my cook, my grocery shopper, and much more
My medical team at the Center -
The many brave women who God has put in my path -
My friends and co-workers -
Me -

The chemo show began on November 28, 2011 will end today, March 12, 2012.  It has not been a long running production but it has been eventful.  I have never been alone during this time as my sweet Jesus has held my hand, walked beside me and so many times He has carried me when I did not feel I could go on.  He promises that He will never leave us and He hasn't left me for one nano second.  I give Him all the praise for holding me and allowing me to cry on His shoulder when the tough times hit.  Words seems so little coming from me for all that He has done.  My praises go out to You, sweet Jesus.

My family has been with me and rejoiced with me during the good times and suffered with me during the bad times.  They have supported me with words, tears, their love, and most of all being here to listen to me when the times were tough.  They have gone way beyond the call of family as I hit the lows and celebrated the highs and yet they still love me and have supported me through this production/journey of chemo.  They have cried with me and cried silently I know during this time.  I know they celebrate with me today as the show/chemo journey began and ends.  All my love and my many many thanks go out to you all.

My sweet friend, Alverna, who has traveled the chemo road with me.  She has taken me to appointments with doctors, she has taken me to my chemo treatments and sat beside me for support, gotten me food and drink as I needed it, she has watched me sleep during the beginning of the round of chemo after the Benadryl was injected.  She has laughed with me and cried with me along the way.  Her role in this production/journey has been priceless and again words seem so little for all she has done.  Thank you sweet friend for being with me as we traveled this road.

My medical team at the Center is priceless.  If this show had a budget, they would need it all.  The doctors, the nurses, pharmacy ladies, nurse navigator, the many volunteers have always greeted me with a smile on their face and allowed me to be leading lady while they cared for me.  They have all listened and answered my questions to the greatest extent possible.  They have guided me through fatigue, constipation, thrush, mouth sores, and much more and all the while they have all treated me as a person while doing it all.  I never have felt like a number (so to speak) to any of them.  Many thanks and great appreciation to you all you  for your support, guidance, help and treat the people in the cancer treatment show.  These folks included myself, we didn't ask for the role but you all have made us feel truly like leading men and women.

I have met so many brave women who have share their incredible stories/journeys with me during this time.  I have gained great insight as to what they have gone through and are still going through.  These friendships are priceless.  Can I tell you I know all their names ... no, but Jesus knows their names and that's what really matters.  We greet each other with smiles and we find out what is going on in each others lives and treatments.  We embrace as if long time friends and we love each other.  Thank you sweet friends for all you have brought to my life.

My friends and co-workers have provided so much support and love during this time.  The beautiful cards, letters, emails, phone calls, text messages, flowers and gifts have all been so appreciated.  You have loved me and held me close, prayed for me and shared some much needed scripture (thank you G).  I have felt so loved and cared for during the good and the bad times.  You have allowed me to cry on your shoulder, rejoiced with me when all was well ...  Thank you sweet friends and co-workers.

As for me, I am not a leading lady, I am way at the bottom of the cast.  I started the role of chemo patient in November 2011, not knowing what to expect, apprehensive as to what would happen and a fear of the unknown.  My role has been small compared to all the people I write about above.  I have lived the role of chemo patient and I Praise my God for allowing me the privilege of being able to write about His awesome love and all He has done for me in this blog.  He has brought many people in to my life and I am so very thankful.  Today IT'S SHOWTIME ... the final round of chemo.  I am thankful for that and I pray that I get through it with flying colors and I know I will.  I can never go wrong with having my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ right beside me.  Thank you sweet Jesus.

So here's a synopsis of the much support I have had during this show ... this incredible journey.  I am thankful for this time in my life, it has brought such a reality check in to my life.  I never ever want any of my family or friends to experience this show/this journey but please know if you do, I am here for you.  I will be part of your supporting cast every step of the way.  Chemo is not easy but it is worth it.

I think I will go back to bed, it's 3:40am.  I am thankful that the steroids woke me up and wouldn't let me sleep.  I needed to write this blog, I needed to publicly thank my Jesus for all He has done and I have the assurance that He will continue with me for He says ... I will never forsake you.  Thank you Jesus.   And you all ... you, my earthly supporting cast/family/friends  ... thank you.  I look forward to moving on after the chemo and sharing with you as I journey in to the radiation phase of the show/journey.  Take a bow and reach around and give yourself a pat on the back ... you deserve it.  

I sing once again .....
  1. Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
    Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
    Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
    Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
    • Refrain:
      This is my story, this is my song,
      Praising my Savior all the day long;
      This is my story, this is my song,
      Praising my Savior all the day long.
  2. Perfect submission, perfect delight,
    Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
    Angels, descending, bring from above
    Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
  3. Perfect submission, all is at rest,
    I in my Savior am happy and blest,
    Watching and waiting, looking above,
    Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

I am BLESSED!  I pray for many blessings to pass your way today ... this day that I say .....
IT'S SHOWTIME!

Much love to you all and may God's grace be upon you.


genam44@charter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment