Saturday, March 10, 2012

Little of this and that!

First, I want to say that when I share the issues I'm having I am not complaining, it's for information for those who might be reading my blog and perhaps like me ... not sure what to expect.  I have always been a healthy person until I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  The worst thing that I can remember happening to me was having pneumonia when I was in elementary school and my temperature was 105 and I was hallucinating.  Other than that, I have been a pretty healthy person... thankfully.  So when I talk about my issues on here, it not complaining, it is more to make folks aware that being diagnosed, going through chemo and radiation can take a toll on one's body and help those who might be walking the journey I am walking.  If you are one of those ... We are SURVIVORS!

Yesterday I had my appointment for another blood check and my appointment with my Oncologist, Dr. Y.  I was excited to see that my red blood count was up to 10, I'm still considered anemic (no one ever told me that) because the good range for red blood count is 12.  I will keep eating the raisins in my oatmeal and see if I can keep those little red counts continuing on the rise.  When I started chemo, my red count was 14.  Dr. Y cleared me for my chemo on Monday.

Things I learned yesterday from Dr. Y, my Oncologist -
*  Taxotere chemo drug is the cause of my eyes being dysfunctional in the tear department.  She wants me to use the prescription drops twice a day AND regular tear drops (nothing that takes the red out) to flush my eyes out several times a day.  This is to wash the Taxotere chemo drug out of my eyes.
*  Taxotere is causing all my water retention.  My legs were extremely swollen when she saw me yesterday.  She has now put me on Lasix and potassium.  Lasix to get rid of the extra fluid and potassium because it goes when you get rid of the extra fluid.  I have gained so much water weight that I went from size 4 jeans to size 6 in one week.
*  Taxotere is the cause of all the heartburn too.
*  It is not the chemo that causes the constipation, it is the anti-nausea drugs.  I told her that no one ever told me that.  I guess it doesn't matter what causes it because it is going to happen.  She told me to start taking Miralax on Sunday (I'm starting today).  The constipation causes your body to retain fluid and nausea and goodness knows I do NOT need any more fluid retention or nausea.
*  I will have a bone density test to be used as a base line for when I begin the Aremidex drug after radiation.  Aremidex is one  of the drugs that is used to kill/eliminate all the estrogen in your body.  Breast cancer feeds on estrogen.  Evidently a side effect of this drug is bone weakening.
*  Dr. Y said I will not have another pet scan unless there were problems that appear in my blood checks since all my cancer was contained in my breasts.
*  I am a little confused on whether I continue to have the weekly blood checks or if I wait until three weeks after my final round for that.  I will find out more about this on Monday when I am at chemo.  I know that I will continue to have blood checks for a while.  The Center will get my appointments synchronized with my surgery date which was October 18, 2011.
*  I ask about when I could get my port out once I have finished my chemo.  She went in to telling me some doctors feel they should be kept in five years and some think they should be kept in for ten years.  If the port is left in, it must be flushed at least every six weeks.  That was option one.  I had to pick my jaw up off the floor because I know I heard her say early on in my journey that she doesn't like to leave the ports in any longer than necessary/needed.  Anyway ... she said if my blood counts are good, I can get my port out before I begin radiation.  Praise you sweet Jesus.  I told her how the port had bothered me all along, primarily mentally just knowing that the long tube goes in to my vena cava which takes the drugs right in to my heart.  She told me that the tube stops at the top of my heart which was new info for me, however, it didn't change my mental thoughts of where it is located.
Above:  This is what my port looks like. The center
(bluish spot) is soft and they access through that soft area
after first freezing my skin. 

Above:  The port is implanted on the right
side of my chest and the white tube runs
up under my collar bone and down
 into the superior vena cava vein. This is an
image I found ... this is not mine.
Above:  A - Port;  B - Catheter Tubing
C - Subclavian Vein;  D - Superior Vena Cava;
E - Pulmonary Vein;  F - Aorta;  G - Heart
Above:  This is the apparatus used to access
my port for blood draws and chemo.  The clear
part in the middle with the needle is what goes
in to the port through my skin and locks on to
the port.  On chemo days, they draw blood and
leave this in for me to have chemo without
being stuck again.  These are a blessing for chemo
patients.


Yesterday I left the Center with more knowledge about several things than when I went in.  I am so thankful for such a wonderful Oncologist who educates me and takes the time (no matter how long it takes) to talk to me.

I stopped at the pharmacy on my way out to get the six prescriptions that were ordered.  The Lasix and potassium, and phenagrin ointment for nausea are new.  She refilled the Diflucan (for the thrush), gave me a Nexium prescription to replace the Prilosec OTC, refilled the Zofran (nausea med).  All the meds are needed during this time in my life ... I still shake my head at the medicine bottles on my dresser that I need considering before I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I didn't take much of anything.

I hope today's post was educational for you and maybe gave you some insight of the port and how it all works.

I leave you today feeling blessed and thankful for my health and where I am currently at in my treatment.  Tomorrow I start the steroids to ready my body for Monday.  I ask for your prayers for this final chemo treatment and the days that follow.

Blessed and praying for many blessings on you today.


genam44@charter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment