Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Catching Up

Monday was my blood work check and I'm happy to report that the numbers were good.  My red blood count dropped down below 10 (9.6) but the nurse didn't seem concerned.  When I got home, I reviewed the past reports and it has done a slow decrease from 14.+ when I began chemo and is down to 10ishn area.  It jumps back and forth so I'm not concerned.  I bought some pickled beets when I went to the grocery store and they have iron in them and I love them ... well let me say at this point I like them.  I figure a bowl of pickled beets on Monday and some of my tortilla soup on Tuesday made with beef stew meat, at least I'm getting some iron enriched foods.  My energy level is way off the scale so evidently the low red count isn't hurting me too bad.  

After my blood work, I ran up the street to Baylor-All Saints to visit the Survivor Gal shop where I needed to pick up my compression sleeve.  I tried it on and I will pray every day that I do not have to wear this thing for any length of time.  It is TIGHT.  Of course it's tight because it's supposed to be but I mean tight.  As you know I am a middle age woman and some of us middle aged women have what we refer to as 'bat wings'.  Yes, that's the flap of 'fat' (lost muscle) under our arms.  Well I have really good bat wings since after my surgery it was mortally impossible to move my arms much and add that to the continued inactivity and that equals 'bat wings'.  I will continue doing my lymph node drainage procedures and pray that the lymphedema stays away.  I will have to wear the sleeve when I exercise of do yard work and I'm ok with it.


As I walked out of Survivor Gal, I was hoping to run into one of the popcorn stands making popcorn but no such luck.  So when I got home, I popped me a bag of popcorn and added a tablespoon of melted butter and to change the taste up a bit ... a fairy dusting of chipotle pepper powder.  You remember the Lessons Learned post from the other day?  Well lesson learned on Monday .....  DO NOT put chipotle pepper powder on your popcorn.  I didn't put too much ... just a fairy dusting but it gave me heartburn (I think it was heartburn I don't know what heartburn feels like) but I was miserable the remainder of the day.  Tums did not take care of it and I was out of Pepto Bismol so I just suffered.  Lessons learned ... oh how valuable they are.

After my little outing for my appointments, I worked the remainder of the day. Cooked dinner which consisted of Shake-N-Bake pork chops, fresh broccoli and I am ashamed to say ... boxed scalloped potatoes.  It was all good though.  We had three organic bananas getting ripe and I knew that I would not be able eat them before they went bad, so I made three mini loaves of banana bread.  While in the kitchen, I decided to oven fry/cook/bake a package of bacon (real bacon).  You know you see them on the cooking shows putting the bacon on a rack on a cookie sheet so all the fat drips off.  I guess it worked ok.  I still had to drain the bacon on a paper towel and dobbed the remaining grease off.  We had some fresh shredded cabbage from a while back in the fridge so I fried a little of the bacon up and then fried the cabbage in the bacon grease.  That was just to keep from wasting the cabbage and also a quick side dish for a future supper.  Sounds like I do not eat very healthy but really I do try to stay within a healthy range.  To know me is to know I do eat healthy.  I've eaten turkey bacon so long, I think I got tired of it.  Moderation ... it's all about moderation.  Tuesday evenings supper was a mish-mash.  I opened a can of black eye peas, added some onion and just a bit of Eckrich sausage that was in the freezer left over from a previous meal.  So dinner was  the cabbage, left over scalloped potatoes ... oh yea, I had fixed some fish sticks for my grand daughter.  As it turns out, my daughter and grand daughter were going to Chick-Fil-A to support her school so I ate a bite, my sister came over when she got home but wasn't hungry and we visited.  Tonight's dinner ... Tacos!

Yesterday after work, I decided I was going to do it.  Yep, just do it and see what happens.  My next door neighbor recently mowed my front and back yard mulching all the fall leaves that I have not been able to do.  Since he had mowed, I've been itching to get the weed eater out and edge and cut back the ever growing weeds.  The weather was good and not too cold so I got the weed eater down, plugged it in and went to town edging and chopping weeds, anything that got in my way.  I then got the blower and blew all the stuff back up in the yard (so the weeds could seed and make more weeds <LOL>).  After that I got the pruners and chopped the crepe myrtle that is in the flower bed back to a twig of which I will be digging up soon.  The weather has been so warm that my three bunches of elephant ears are starting to sprout.  GREAT!  It'll probably freeze and kill all of them.  My mind is reaching for spring and the things I want and intend to get done for this coming spring/summer season.  I have gotten many ideas out of this magazine ....
I'm thinking some raised beds made from wood frames, probably 2 X 8's will grow some things nicely in the back yard.  Yes ... spring fever has set in ... along with the cabin fever <LOL>.

I want to start exercising .... slowly but none the less exercising.  I walk with Tootie but I need to exercise.  I'm thinking the Wii.  All in all I think my body has held up with the limited activity of the last 4 months but I know I will feel better when I get more active.

I'm sure there is more that I wanted to say today but it's time to go to work.  I have prayed for you who are reading my blog this morning.  God has got today under control so when you feel overwhelmed, remember Him and talk to Him.  He will calm your fears.

Blessed and sending blessings to you on this wistful chilly Wednesday.


 genam44@charter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment