Monday, February 6, 2012

Things I Have Learned

Over my 55 years of life that I have learned so many things from so many different people.  From the slightest of things to very important things.  Life teaches us, doesn't it?  People make impressions on us and we may not realize it until many years later.

I was thinking about this yesterday as I shared a story with my sister and daughter about my Mother in Law.  (Yes, I still call her my Mother in Law ... she will always be that as well as my friend).  When I was married and we would go to my in-laws house in the evening, I always noticed that early evening ... oh say 5:30ish - 6:00 pm time frame, my Mother in Law always had the beds turned back, getting everything for climbing in to that bed.  In my later years, I do the same thing.  When it's bed time and I'm tired, I like coming in to my bedroom and not having to fiddle with the big comforter and blankets, sheets and pillows to get in bed.  This is one of the things my Mother in Law taught me without even knowing she touched my life in that way.  She also taught me about "cold plates".   My Father in Law was in refrigeration sales and service and traveled through out the week so my Mother in Law was alone at night for dinner.  When she would get home from her Tom Tom's Day Care job, she would make her a 'cold plate' for dinner, wrap plastic around it and put it in the fridge for when she was ready to eat later.  I never heard of a 'cold plate' because we always had sandwiches and chips and such.  A cold plate is a nosh of some type of lunch meat perhaps, pickles, cheese, veggies, etc ... just whatever you want on your cold plate.  Cold plates have become one of my favorite easy light meals.  Thank you Mrs. Morrison for the many things you have taught me over the years.  By the way, this sweet lady lives in a retirement center in her own little apartment and is either 94 or 95 years old.

Other things I was taught and this was by my own parents.  We were taught to appreciate and respect the things we had in our lives no matter the smallness or the magnitude, whether ours or someone elses.  I grew up in a very modest little home built by my Dad.  He was a union brick layer and worked hard all his life until he was forced to medically retire.  We were taught to say Yes Ma'am, No Ma'am, Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank you and Please.  We were taught not to take advantage of the little things in our lives.  We were taught to respect everyone and everything.  I learned the love of outdoors from my Daddy.  I learned to hug and say "I love you" from my Mom.  Mom taught me to cook by not even knowing she was teaching me.  Sitting in the kitchen with her while she cooked and watching her put this and that into a meal, taught me that I don't need recipes but can think up delicious recipes on my own.  Mom taught me the enjoyment of a good glass of wine.  Due to our modest upbringing, all three of us kids know the meaning of a dollar which came from our parents.  These are just a few of things my Mom and Dad taught me.

My nephews have taught me things ... one that has had an impact on my life.  Last Christmas when we were sitting around the lunch table having I'm sure a very unhealthy fast food meal, I grabbed the salt shaker and sprinkled away before I ever tasted my food.  They both started ragging on me and told me that was not good for me and I should stop salting things.  From that day to this, I stopped using the salt shaker unless it's one of those things that just need a little salt ... like eggs and baked potato ... and even those sometimes do not require salting.  Remember, learning doesn't have to be a big thing but includes all the small things as well.

My sister has taught me so many things over the years.  We've always been sisters but the last several years we became friends.  Friends and sisters (and brothers) are priceless.  My sister sees things in a whole different light than I do ... trust me she always has.  I am so thankful she does.  We talk every morning on our way to work and I bounce things off her and she bounces things off me.  We learn so much from each other but I gotta tell ya, she's the real teacher between the two of us.

My girls have been endless sources of information through out their lives.  They can not even know how much they have taught me and there's too much to list.  Who knew how much a person could love until they became a parent?  I didn't until I became one.  Parental love is a whole new subject in the school of life.  I am thankful for my girls and I pray that their little ones can be learning tools for them as well.

So when you think about the things you've learned over your life, does anything specific come to mind?  The few things I've listed are the things that I think had wonderful impacts on my life and I'm proud to say that these lessons ... were just that ...  lessons in life.  People touch our lives every day and leave a mark on it, hopefully a good mark but if not, there are still lessons learned from the harder lessons in life.  I'm thankful for these that have touched my life that I have listed but know also there are many many more who have touched my life that I did not list.  I'm thankful for the many lessons of life, the opportunities to learn in silence just by watching someone, wonderful people who have taught me and never even knew it.

During my journey through cancer and treatment, my awesome God has been the greatest teacher of all.  I'm so thankful and appreciative for the many lessons I've learned on this journey as He has walked and talked me to this point.

Today I hope my post brings back a fond memory or a lesson that you have learned and didn't realize it was a lesson.  I love reminiscing and sharing my lessons, memories and love that has surrounded me all my life.  Lessons can come in a small package so don't miss it.

Blessed and sending many blessings.

 genam44@charter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment