Sunday, February 19, 2012

Friday and Saturday Happenings

My lyphedema therapy appointment was Friday afternoon and I am so very very glad I got that appointment when I did and went.  The compression sleeve that was ordered for me with specifics that it was to be a Max which means the sleeve is flanged at the top of the sleeve was not what I was given.  Flanged or flared at the top means it should have a wider band at the top so it doesn't cut in to my arm.  The compression sleeve I got was not flared but rather straight up and down was cutting in to my upper arm.  Linda, my therapist took one look at my sleeve on my arm when I got there and said that she had some serious concerns about the sleeve.  When I took it off, she read the tag and found out it was not what she had ordered.  The tight band at the top of the sleeve caused the lymph node fluid from flowing up my arm which means it was trapped and was pooling around my elbow.  Linda took new measurements of my arm and we did a comparison from the last measurements and sure enough there was swelling around my elbow.  I must tell you that I was and am aggravated that this happened.  We trust these trained sales people and in my opinion these sales people should ensure that what they are providing a customer is 100% correct because most people like myself knows nothing about these products and trust my providers.  You may be sitting there saying to yourself ... Gena, people make mistakes.  Yes, people make mistakes but remember something of this nature could be life altering.  I guess I could take this a step farther ... what if this had been a chemo nurse and gave someone the wrong chemo drug ... these things can be life altering for a cancer patient.  On Friday when I went to the place I purchased the sleeve and talked to my sales lady, she said, "Ooops".   Lesson learned ... you have to look out for yourself in these things and question to ensure you are getting what is ordered.  I have lost trust in the place where I bought the sleeve and will never walk out of the store without ensuring I am getting what is ordered.  Of course the store had to order my new correct sleeves and it will be the end of the week before I can get them.  Today I have made a make shift sleeve with a wide ace bandage so I can clean house and scrub.

While in the store where I met two women - sisters - both had had breast cancer.  One of the sisters was on her third diagnosis of breast cancer and was getting ready to begin chemo that would make her lose her hair.    These ladies were a blessing to me and as they left, I wished her the best as she begins the journey of new chemo drugs.

All in all my therapy appointment went great.  Linda is top notch about all this and Friday she provided me with some exercises that can be done sitting at a desk or standing that will help keep the lymph fluid draining.  So combined with the lymph node drainage procedures I do and the exercises, I feel I am doing all that I can to keep this fluid flowing and I pray that I do not get lyphedema.  

After I got back to my area of town on Friday, I went to Home Depot to get the lumber I needed for my raised beds.  I had talked to my brother about what I needed and had it all written down.  I got my cedar 2 X 4's and got the boards that needed to be cut to size, found the screws I needed and home I came.  The Home Depot closest to my house had just enough cedar 2 X 4's for one raised bed so early Saturday morning, my sister and I ran to another Home Depot and got some things she needed and I got enough lumber for another raised bed.  Since it was raining and my brother couldn't get out and do anything in his yard (we are all yard people), so he came and screwed the boxes together and because it had rained so much, getting them set in the ground was not an issue.  My brother is a rather large man and a few good stomps on the anchor posts and both beds were anchored in the ground.  We put them exactly where I wanted them which is centered with my patio and I cannot wait to get the grass cleared away and the beds filled with soil and plants.
Above:  Raised beds centered with my patio
 Above:  Bed off to the right
 Above:  View stepping back on patio
Above:  Bed to the left
When you look at the fence line, all that green stuff is weeds.  Yeppers, I have a lot of work getting my yard in shape this year and I look so forward to it.  

Friday I got the Wii out and used the Wii Fitness DVD.  I did about three cardio exercises and it felt good.  I am not in the best of shape so boy did I get sore.  <laughing>  My plan is to start small and keep building up.

My appetite remained non existent and I finally gave in Friday night and ordered me a personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut thinking this would help me.  I must say the pizza was good.  Saturday for lunch we had the same thing.  The appetite and taste thing is kinda funny how it affects and when it affects.  I know it's the steroids causing my weight gain and there is nothing I can do about that.  Once I am finished with the chemo and the steroids, I know I can get the weight off.

Speaking of steroids, today is the day (Sunday) that I start them again.  I've had my first two steroids of the day already.  I didn't do any cleaning yesterday, saving it for today when I know my energy level will be off the charts with the steroids.  As a matter of fact, yesterday after my brother and I got the raised beds in place, I didn't really do anything.  Alicia and I watched Whitney Houston's funeral and I must say, it was a beautiful service (pretty long - 4 hours).  Yes, Whitney fought her drug and alcohol demons but she never faltered from her faith and love of the Lord.  Kevin Costner was an invited guest and speaker spoke about his Bodyguard co-star.  If you didn't watch the funeral service, take about 17 minutes to listen to Costner eulogize Whitney.
http://globalgrind.com/entertainment/kevin-costner-speech-whitney-houston-funeral-video-photos

Tomorrow (Monday) is round 5 of my chemo.  I want to say I am jumping up and down and can't wait but in reality that's not the case... however, I am very happy that this is round 5.  I will get through this round and move on to round 6.  I look forward to this part of my journey being over and behind me.  At the same time, I am very thankful for the treatment that will have killed any escaping cancer cells and will allow me to continue on my life.

Today I will clean and get some fresh veggies and fruits and get prepared for next week.

Praises:
*  Round 5 of my chemo treatments.
*  Linda, lymphedema therapist.
*  Continuing to meet survivor sisters that bless me more than they know.
*  All the rain that we have gotten in the last couple days.
*  My family and friends who continue to hold me up in prayer.
*  Pizza Hut personal pan pizzas.

Prayer Requests:
*  Nothing gets in the way of round 5 and I get through without any glitches.
*  The precious lady I met Friday who is facing yet another battle with her breast cancer.
*  The compression sleeves that I am supposed to have, come in and I can get them picked up to use.  I really miss the sleeve.  I wear it all day and know that I can do anything with it on and not really have any worries about my arm.
*  Those who are beginning their journey through breast cancer.  They need our prayers more than you know.

Blessed and sending you blessings!


genam44@charter.net

No comments:

Post a Comment